GOES-R Satellite

Bullitt69

Should us LES fanatics be excited?

This satellite is being launched on Saturday 11/19/2016 at 5:42 pm @ Cape Canaveral, and from I've read, this will be a major milestone in our ability to forecast & predict weather. It appears to be a big deal.

I would be interested in hearing anyone's comments!

Cheers,

-Bullitt-

groomerdriver

Should us LES fanatics be excited?

This satellite is being launched on Saturday 11/19/2016 at 5:42 pm @ Cape Canaveral, and from I've read, this will be a major milestone in our ability to forecast & predict weather. It appears to be a big deal.

I would be interested in hearing anyone's comments!

Cheers,

-Bullitt-

Will John comment on this? Can't wait to see his response if he does.

Not sure what another satellite will do. A more accurate computer model would be helpful I'd bet.

Last edited:

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I have to admit that I do not know a ton about this new satellite, but I do know that it will not be going into operational mode for about a year after launch, so no help from it for this snow season.

I can say that it looks to have a lot of new features, some which will be very helpful in forecasting and analysis. I am looking forward to when its data is available to the general public. What I would love more is a radar in the Keweenaw to see what is happening in the western lake when it is dark or we are not in a pure LES regime. It is very difficult to even tell what is going on unless the LES cloud banding is clearly seen in the visible imagery.

-John