Good loops based out of mercer???

sledrider103

Looking for a couple 150mi or so day loops based out of mercer. Thanks in advance for the help. Never rode iron, vilas , or price co before.

kraven700

Looking for a couple 150mi or so day loops based out of mercer. Thanks in advance for the help. Never rode iron, vilas , or price co before.

Mercer to Lake Gogiebic & back = 150 miles
via either combination of trails towards Presque Isle,
Then trail 1 into the U.P.,
Trail 2 to Marenisco,
take trail to Lake Gogiebic and
Trail on WEST side of Lake Gogiebic

Gogiebic Lodge (near bottom of lake),
Fish tales -great Philly-Steak sandwich (middle of Lake, West side),
Hoop & Holler (top of lake)

You can stop at Bam Bam's/fuel up in Marenisco on the way

You can return going through Wakefield then Hurley for some late night entertainment, then back to Mercer

Last edited:

bonnevier

Bam bams has been closed the past few yrs after the owner passed away but there is another bar in Marenisco that's open

RHFD547

Go north to Hurley to Saxon Harbor to look at Lake Superior then back to the flowage area. You MUST ride trail #6 if you do. It may not be 150 miles but you could get hit that mark if you went on south to Price Co and back. Bear Chasers on Island Lake is a must stop for a great burger. I have yet to ride in Price County, but I've been told by the locals up there, that it's a hidden gem. If you go south and east towards Boulder Junction/Land o Lakes (Vilas Co) and a little south towards Minocqua, you could log some good miles. There are some great trails west of Minoqua that are well maintained and lakes that are conducive to logging miles quick. If you have a Michigan trail pass. Kraven 700 has a good idea too.

bonnevier

There is a bar called Dutch's about a block or 2 south. Never been in but probably only place to stop in town other than the gas station

Longlegs

If you are looking to avoid a Michigan permit, I like the loop over to presque isle and landolakes. Then down to conover Boulder junction. Another loop is down to Manitowish and then out west to the flowage and up towards island lake.
We usually go east out of town by the library and then north to Pine Lake Lodge. Cross 51 going west towards Bear Chasers then up to Saxon Harbor. We usually stay out of Hurley.

junior

I just got back from there last night. Still plenty of snow and trails were overall very nice. I would suggest just getting a map and deciding where to go. The only place I won't go again is Gateway Lodge. A friend gave the bartender a $100 bill for his lunch. His lunch was $24.79. That is the exact amount of change she gave him back. And then insisted he gave her a $50 and not a hundred. Another friend got the exact ame lunch and his was a differenet price. The young skinny bartender would not change a channel to Sportscenter becasue she said she did not want to watch it.

ridindirty800

I just got back from there last night. Still plenty of snow and trails were overall very nice. I would suggest just getting a map and deciding where to go. The only place I won't go again is Gateway Lodge. A friend gave the bartender a $100 bill for his lunch. His lunch was $24.79. That is the exact amount of change she gave him back. And then insisted he gave her a $50 and not a hundred. Another friend got the exact ame lunch and his was a differenet price. The young skinny bartender would not change a channel to Sportscenter becasue she said she did not want to watch it.

Sounds like the owners daughter if she was younger! I have never had a problem there but that is to bad your group did.

ruffner1

Small world, I live in Roscoe IL also and am looking to go to Mercer riding this week/weekend. When are you going to Mercer and where are you staying?

RHFD547

Ditto on the Gateway Lodge. Our group had the worst $20.00 steaks imaginable and the hospitality was horrible. We stayed in one of their cabins a couple of years ago and had to rent bath towels. I have not been back since and I don't see ever giving them another try.

xfire22

Any advice on trails to avoid with loops north/northwest/west of mercer? Looking to ride towards Hurley,Saxon, and loop into Ashland cty. On the flip side of that...any trails that we should be sure to hit?! Thanks!!

renegade

Funny, we had the same problem at gateway last night. Had the aged $20 rib eye last night. Asked for mushrooms and onions, 6 bucks for that. No way in the world that was an aged steak either. Liked that place but dinners way over priced for the quality. Kids had burgers and they were good. Wished I had ordered that instead.