Got the itch

rph130

I'm getting tired of waiting for the snow, so the wife gave me the green light to buy a new 2 up ATV for her and I to go play on the trails in Northern Wisconsin. After a lot of internet due diligence, I have it narrowed down to a Can Am Outlander Max XT700 or a Polaris Sportsman Touring 570 premium. I'm asking if anyone out there has either atv and opinions on pros and/or cons of either. Any other brand suggestions are welcome but from what I have learned is that these are the two that offer an integrated two up seat.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll jump in here with compliments to your wife but beware, she may have her eye on a kitchen remodel or new carpeting. Proceed with caution!
I've found the Can Am and BRP products to have the best fit and finish. Both of your choices have solid engines and there's plenty of dealers of both between Illinois and N. Wisconsin for parts and support. Polaris usually has a better price point, and, in this case, a smaller engine may tip the scale in your decision. Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either.

eao

Get a side by side, much more comfortable. 2 Up ATV is like riding a horse IMO. My nephew had 850 Sportsman 2 up and after 2 yrs, went to a Ranger (3-seat). Some deals to be had right now as there is a inventory glut on side by sides. I seen them $2000 off msrp. I have had 2 RZR's and would never go back to a ATV even if it was given to me for free. As I said, like riding a horse.

Here is an example for your perusal. PS-I have no vested interest in these...

Last edited:

heckler56

Here is my two cents. I had a Polaris quad 20 years ago. Lost my brother in law when his flipped. Bought a Polaris Ranger, safer. Unfortunately the Ranger is wide so limited to ORV ”auto” wide trails. My wife will drive the Ranger since it feels like a car. It’s life is a yard utility vehicle.

hermie

I agree with the SxS route much more comfortable for 2 especially if you are going to putting on any miles. Perhaps you already have plenty of experience on a ATV and already understand there shortfalls. As already said they are tippy especially when you start getting 2 people on them. If you do go the ATV route please be smarter than most of the people I see out there and wear helmets. We personally have a 4 seater RZR which we like just for the 2 of us but once in a while we have the grandson so having the back seat is nice. Also from what I hear some of the best trails are in the Goodman Dunbar area.

pclark

Get a side by side, much more comfortable. 2 Up ATV is like riding a horse IMO. My nephew had 850 Sportsman 2 up and after 2 yrs, went to a Ranger (3-seat). Some deals to be had right now as there is a inventory glut on side by sides. I seen them $2000 off msrp. I have had 2 RZR's and would never go back to a ATV even if it was given to me for free. As I said, like riding a horse.

Here is an example for your perusal. PS-I have no vested interest in these...
Bob, I would agree with the SxS analogy. Think about it, it could be enclosed for fall and spring, no eating dust, nice ride to the watering hole, etc.

rph130

Thanks for the replies guys. Now I'm even more torn. Good points on the tippy factor and eating dust. My daughter has a SXS and I have used it. I guess I'm comparing apples to oranges. Sitting in a SXS as opposed to straddling the ATV. Steering wheel and gas pedal vs. handlebars and throttle. I understand the functionality of the SXS but I felt like I was driving a fancy golf cart on steroids. I guess it's just a matter of preference and I still have some thinking and research to do on it. And Gary, I asked the wife if the kitchen and carpeting was still ok with her. After 35 years of marriage, I don't buy toys anymore without her express written consent because I don't want to hear about a dumb move for years to come.

katden4

Cloverland in Ironwood has a lot to choose from as well. I agree with the SXS over the atv. Had atvs for many years, and after the first SXS would not go back. So much more you can do with a SXS, and way more comfortable. As far as what brand, I strongly suggest a dealer close to you that you can trust, more than choosing just by brand.

rph130

So, we decided to go with a 2025 Polaris Sportsman Touring 570 Premium. Did a lot of comparative shopping from dealerships in Wisconsin and the UP. Found a dealer in Milwaukee area who had it advertised online for about $800. less than MSRP. I contacted Pats motorsports being that I see a lot of good things about them on this forum. I have to give a shout out to Kurtis my salesman, and their entire staff. They could not match the $800. off from Milwaukee but that was a scam to get you in door. The advertised Milwaukee deal did not include $1240 in freight and $286. in doc fees. I wound up paying about $1000. less, out the door, buying from Pats. Now I understand the good things I see and hear about them. It's also only about an hour drive from my cabin in Presque Isle as opposed to a 5-hour ride to Milwaukee to pick it up. Ordered, built, and being shipped this week. Thanks Pats Motorsports. Only one problem with this adventure......I know that after our first ride together, my wife will want her own. At least I know where to go and buy it now.

katden4

So, we decided to go with a 2025 Polaris Sportsman Touring 570 Premium. Did a lot of comparative shopping from dealerships in Wisconsin and the UP. Found a dealer in Milwaukee area who had it advertised online for about $800. less than MSRP. I contacted Pats motorsports being that I see a lot of good things about them on this forum. I have to give a shout out to Kurtis my salesman, and their entire staff. They could not match the $800. off from Milwaukee but that was a scam to get you in door. The advertised Milwaukee deal did not include $1240 in freight and $286. in doc fees. I wound up paying about $1000. less, out the door, buying from Pats. Now I understand the good things I see and hear about them. It's also only about an hour drive from my cabin in Presque Isle as opposed to a 5-hour ride to Milwaukee to pick it up. Ordered, built, and being shipped this week. Thanks Pats Motorsports. Only one problem with this adventure......I know that after our first ride together, my wife will want her own. At least I know where to go and buy it now.
My advise would be to take it out a few times solo to get use to it. Atv with a passenger can be a little sketchy if your not use to it. Your going to love it, enjoy!