GPS Unit- Questions

callen

I am looking to purchase a GPS unit and was looking for recommendations as to which units work the best and best options for downloading trail maps and fire road maps for two tracking.

Any suggestions?

snowfish

In my opinion Garmin and only Garmin. The Zumo would be the "most correct answer". However, I opted for the Nuvi 2595 with Red Pine overlay maps & the Garmin upper midwest fishing guide.

Only slight downside, to using the Red Pine overlay, is that the tracks appear under the snowmobile trails. This appears to happen when enabling 2 maps.

The tracks appear fine on the Red Pine full version, Garmin lake maps, or the built in base map singly. It's just when one tries to layer them. Garmin says they can't help with 3rd party maps, so what ever.

But you weren't asking about maps. Like I said, Garmin has the best. I like the nice large, easy to view and use, screen. I feel the Nuvi 2595 is an extremely good value for the sled, boat, & car. Just be careful when it gets damp outside.

sixball

Garmin Montana user and I think its the most versatile best unit I have ever used. It is a touch screen that just works..... I have never had a problem with this one and it works with gloves on. I use it in on my truck,boat,ATV, snowmobiling,hiking. It's not cheep but Dammer it works.
I get signals in ares that my other GPS units have not, even my Garmin's I have signals in my home! It gets a 10 out of 10