Great Lakes frozen over already

mattus

John- I seen on the news that the Great Lakes are frozen over already, couple of questions, If this is true, is this the earliest you seen this happen, and how will this effect the LE for the remaining of the season?

Thanks

mezz

John- I seen on the news that the Great Lakes are frozen over already, couple of questions, If this is true, is this the earliest you seen this happen, and how will this effect the LE for the remaining of the season?

Thanks

Can you say and or hear "fake news"?? LOL, but no....:encouragement::wink:-Mezz

jd

Administrator
Staff member
No, it's true. I just got back from an awesome snowmobile ride to Thunder Bay and back over the ice. Great trip, but a little on the chilly side!

Just kidding, the map that frnash provided the link to is pretty spot on. Just a tiny bit of free flowing shore ice up here on the Keweenaw and the other Great Lakes have a long way to go too. Erie is always the first to freeze, as it is so shallow.

Plenty of open water on Superior, probably at least another 100" worth before we could see enough to diminish things.

-John

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
John- I seen on the news that the Great Lakes are frozen over already

Jeez, do these news people even look out the window before opening their mouth. How hard is it to pull up a map. Somebody ought to send this guy out there to check the thickness...

Media; You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." obi wan kenobi

frnash

See the Latest Lake Superior Ice Concentration & Thickness Charts from the The U.S. National Ice Center (NIC)[SUP]1[/SUP] and the United States Coast Guard. (Note all the ICE FREE AREAS — shown in dark blue.):

1. (click →) USCG District 9 Great Lakes Ice, February 02, 2018.
  2. (click →) USCG District 9 Great Lakes Ice, January 30, 2018.
  3. (click →) USCG District 9 Great Lakes Ice, January 25, 2018.
  4. (click →) USCG District 9 Great Lakes Ice, January 23, 2018.
  5. (click →) USCG District 9 Great Lakes Ice, January 18, 2018.
  6. (click →) USCG District 9 Great Lakes Ice, January 16, 2018.
  7. (click →) USCG District 9 Great Lakes Ice, January 11, 2018.
  8. (click →) USCG District 9 Great Lakes Ice, January 09, 2018.
  9. (click →) USCG District 9 Great Lakes Ice, January 04, 2018.
  10. (click →) USCG District 9 Great Lakes Ice, January 02, 2018.
  11. (click →) USCG District 9 Great Lakes Ice, December 28, 2017.

To retrieve these charts yourself, start at the
(click →) Great Lakes Ice Analysis Products page, then select desired formats and submit your query.
The Start date, End date and values used to generate the above charts is shown here:
Ice Data.JPG
(Click above thumbnail to zoom.)
([SUP]1[/SUP] The U.S. National Ice Center (NIC) is a multi-agency center operated by the United States Navy, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the United States Coast Guard.)

old abe

John; is there anything in the way of breaking up the ice, and or opening up the big lake coming??? Need to get the LES going again!!! Snow riding areas are very limited again. The UP will be needing some freshening up.

dfattack

are there maps to show the arctic ice cover? Not that I'm planning on riding up there but with the Ice forming in the lower 48 so fast this year I was wondering how the ice cover was up north.