Great riding last week

Hoosier

Went up and rode last Friday - Monday. Great conditions with the exception of the Wawa area, apparently there was a groomer issue there. Good powder off trail in some places but too set up in others. We were going to do the loop of Searchmont-Halfway-Timmons-Hearst-Hornepayne-Dubreville-Wawa-Halfway-Searchmont, but we got a late start on Friday so we switched it up. Left Searchmont around 1 on Friday, went up to Dubreville and rode out of there the next three days. Saturday we headed out on the newly reopened trail to Marathon and back - that was incredible with all the elevation changes. Sunday was a shorter day - we went out on the Magpie and then out to Missanabie and ate at Ernie's and talked to he and his son for a while. Monday we rode back to Halfway, shot up to Chapleau and back to Halfway, and then down to Searchmont. Overall a great trip. Probably the most traffic we've seen up there, but still not much at all. We heard some talk up there about them continuing to reopen some of the trails that will make some more of the loops open.

I don't get out as much as I'd like, but I need to figure out how to get a newer sled before next season. The old carbed sled just uses too much gas up there and makes me nervous up there with about 11K on it.

old abe

Good for you Hoosier. Glad to hear you got to ride Canada again!!! It's always good there. Sounds as if you covered some good miles, with good smiles!!! All trips are too short, eh??? Are there any trails reopening to the west of Marathon toward Nipigon??? Or to the north/east of Marathon up thru Manuitouwadge/Hillsport/Hornpayne??? Reopening the trails anywhere is great news though. It doesn't appear I will make it to Canada to sled this year, but will not miss next year!!! Thanks for the report, and hope you can figure something out for a sled. Good luck, be safe, and ride when ever able to.

Hoosier

Good for you Hoosier. Glad to hear you got to ride Canada again!!! It's always good there. Sounds as if you covered some good miles, with good smiles!!! All trips are too short, eh??? Are there any trails reopening to the west of Marathon toward Nipigon??? Or to the north/east of Marathon up thru Manuitouwadge/Hillsport/Hornpayne??? Reopening the trails anywhere is great news though. It doesn't appear I will make it to Canada to sled this year, but will not miss next year!!! Thanks for the report, and hope you can figure something out for a sled. Good luck, be safe, and ride when ever able to.

Yeah with young kids and some job change issues it's hard to get away as much as I'd like or drop the coin on some new iron. No complaints at all from me though. I didn't hear any rumors about any trails reopening West of Marathon or going North from there, but they did open that East/West trail north of Hornepayne that goes out to Longlac, so it seems logical to complete that loop from there down to Marathno. I did hear they are looking to reopen the trail between Missanabi and Chapleau again, perhaps next year. Ernie said there are some washouts that need to be fixed and govt makes it difficult and expensive to do so.

We just started going up there about 4 years ago and there have been more trails opened up each year, so hopefully the momentum will continue. It's an amazing area with the wilderness, people and the lake effect off Superior.

old abe

I think we are spoiled some what Hoosier, as we have been riding Ont/Ca for almost 20 years. And our friends many years before that. What we were previously able to do, as in places to go, and trails we could ride to get there, leave us wanting for it again today. We'll keep the faith!!! My most want/hope is, the north of Superior loop. West from Marathon to Nipigon, north to Beardmore/Jellicoe, east to Longlac, south thru Hillsport, and back down to Marathon. A lot of wilderness, very rugged terrain, and gorgeous scenery. Happy that you got to go up, as I did not make it. Late harvest last fall, and I let the early bird seasonal permit get away. I hope your different sled thing works out for you. $'s are $'s for sure. Good to hear from you always, and good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!