Have you noticed?

pclark

This is not meant to be political but have you noticed how the products that we buy are getting downsized, quality is worse, and overall you get less for a higher price? Example, the Kleenex we buy is now like one ply, very thin, higher priced. The TP we buy varies in quality, very thin, but says on the packaging it is is thick ply. Was in Eagle River Friday and stopped at Pick in Save, was just going to run in and get some coffee, real quit, in and out, no such thing anymore. All self check outs open, only two other lanes open at 3pm on a Friday??????? Asked the lady at the Customer service counter if I could check out with her and she said no. I said, “really?”, she said that would have to wait in line, I did while she did nothing but watch the front end. The self checkouts were giving everyone credit card grief so very slow. It took 20 minutes to buy a small package of coffee, won’t be shopping there ever again. But, this is the norm pretty much everywhere I’m afraid.

Magnumb

Yes, have you seen the quality on the new Toyota trucks. Their cars still seem ok, but the paint quality and fit and finish on some of their trucks are not great. Also, was eating doritos the other day and seems like they are thinner and not nearly as flavorful as they once were. Hope condoms are not thinner!

Keeping my old truck until something comes out that is decent. No pride anymore in things we build.
Could be a result of the high pace environment we all created and the loss of a sense of community

Last edited:

wiscrev

This is not meant to be political but have you noticed how the products that we buy are getting downsized, quality is worse, and overall you get less for a higher price? Example, the Kleenex we buy is now like one ply, very thin, higher priced. The TP we buy varies in quality, very thin, but says on the packaging it is is thick ply. Was in Eagle River Friday and stopped at Pick in Save, was just going to run in and get some coffee, real quit, in and out, no such thing anymore. All self check outs open, only two other lanes open at 3pm on a Friday??????? Asked the lady at the Customer service counter if I could check out with her and she said no. I said, “really?”, she said that would have to wait in line, I did while she did nothing but watch the front end. The self checkouts were giving everyone credit card grief so very slow. It took 20 minutes to buy a small package of coffee, won’t be shopping there ever again. But, this is the norm pretty much everywhere I’m afraid.
PC, you must have gotten thee same person that I did. Went to customer svc to find out which cookies were on sale, and she replied, "Just go and find out yourself." After a couple of rounds about that, I eventually asked her if she worked there. She really got PO'd. Another manager stepped in and helped me and I think the other got a "talkin' to." There really is no customer service anymore, any where.

whitedust

PC, you must have gotten thee same person that I did. Went to customer svc to find out which cookies were on sale, and she replied, "Just go and find out yourself." After a couple of rounds about that, I eventually asked her if she worked there. She really got PO'd. Another manager stepped in and helped me and I think the other got a "talkin' to." There really is no customer service anymore, any where.
Chuck I have done exactly like you when at a store and I seek out help only to be told Idk. Next question ok then who knows that works here? Always get on the radio start paging people and usually whoever shows up knows their stuff. Difficult to find help but when I do I don’t go away until I get a response.

wiscrev

Chuck I have done exactly like you when at a store and I seek out help only to be told Idk. Next question ok then who knows that works here? Always get on the radio start paging people and usually whoever shows up knows their stuff. Difficult to find help but when I do I don’t go away until I get a response.
Pete, one day I was at Pic N Save. It was absolutely a zoo. Only 2 checkout people. The lines were almost to the back off the store! I yelled out "All checker to the front," and some manager came over and gave me %$$#^%. I just said, "The truth hurts." He wasn't happy and I really didn't care.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bought any steaks lately? A good ribeye used to be twice as thick as today's cut. Same price though. I suppose you can have the butcher lop off a decent one but it's gonna cost ya.

Reactions: C W

whitedust

Bought any steaks lately? A good ribeye used to be twice as thick as today's cut. Same price though. I suppose you can have the butcher lop off a decent one but it's gonna cost ya.
Gary get acquainted with local butcher shops. They are to meat to what microbreweries are to beer. Maybe more expensive but really no comparison in taste and quality and they definitely want your business will package the way you want it. Try out seasoned burgers , brats and sausages work your way up to the finer cuts.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gary get acquainted with local butcher shops. They are to meat to what microbreweries are to beer. Maybe more expensive but really no comparison in taste and quality and they definitely want your business will package the way you want it. Try out seasoned burgers , brats and sausages work your way up to the finer cuts.
Yeah, we have a local place out in Greenville that does a nice job with everything from brisket to wagyu. But again, you're going to pay for that quality and it's no fault of theirs. I picked up a pair of baby backs today as I've got a friend who had Rotator Cuff surgery on Monday and I'll be smoking some ribs for him later in the week.

whitedust

Yeah, we have a local place out in Greenville that does a nice job with everything from brisket to wagyu. But again, you're going to pay for that quality and it's no fault of theirs. I picked up a pair of baby backs today as I've got a friend who had Rotator Cuff surgery on Monday and I'll be smoking some ribs for him later in the week.
Your bud is in for a tuff time with rotator cuff surgery they wouldn’t operate on mine just said we will replace the whole joint when the time comes which I believe is an age thing. My son-in-laws father tore his rotator cuff closer to my age same thing with him replaced the whole shoulder joint and he’s not happy with it a lot of pain average motion. After 2 years my rotator cuff healed on its own I probably have 80% motion but rotator cuff muscles atrophied quickly and once that happens you can’t get them back have to train other muscles to compensate. Hopefully your bud is able fully recover.

pclark

Rev, pretty soon we will be stocking the shelves, cutting meat, and putting out produce.

skiroule

Well, I’m 75 years old so believe me, I’m very familiar with shrinkage :D.

I guess companies feel that they’ve pushed the price of their product as high as will sell and now have to eliminate and downsize to maintain price. Pretty disappointing for a guy that used to buy a 1/8 lb Big Time candy bar for a nickel when I was a kid.

As some of you are aware, I’ve worked at the local small-town hardware store for several years since my “retirement’ and I might take mild exception to the sentiment that you can’t find good customer service anywhere anymore. Everyone, from the store owners on down is extremely customer service oriented. The stories I could tell about the things we have done for customers on a daily basis. What is kind of interesting is that 5 of the 7 regular non-management employees and the owners are all over 65. Not sure what that says.

Whitedust is dead-on about quality. You can still find it but it might come at a cost. Whenever I go back to the Twin Cities, I head straight for the local butcher shop that is near where we used to live. He is surrounded by grocery store chains that sell for far less but he’s maintained a successful business because people know they’re getting quality for their money. I think what upsets people is when they pay for quality and don’t get it.

pclark

Rev, same one most likely. It’s hard to spend money at places that don’t care about you.