Hayward Lakes Area-Sawyer County Trail Conditions

Hello Riders!!

Update Thursday 12/29. In conjunction with the county Forestry office the Sawyer County Snowmobile and ATV Alliance, trails are OPEN. HOWEVER, we say this with many forewarnings and caution:

• Many main artery trails have been cleared and/or groomed. It was too warm today to put groomers out so many will run during the evenings over the weekend.
  • While many trails are cleared not all trails have been cleared or groomed. There will be side trails that have not been touched yet as we are still very early with this opening.
  • There will be trails that are cleared but not groomed yet, please ride with caution as there can still be equipment out there working as well ruts created from the heavy equipment needed to cut and clear.
  • Lakes reported to be staked are The Chippewa Flowage, Lost Land Lake and Barker Lake. Reports Tiger Cat, Callahan and possible Spider will be staked tomorrow and Saturday. We will update lake staking so PLEASE watch for that and DO NOT ride lakes not staked.
  • As always, stay on the marked trails on the lakes, do not venture away and be courteous of fisherman. Also, know the lakes are rough, so ride slowly and with caution.
So, to recap, while trails are open you are riding at your own risk, and we ask you do so with caution. We also ask that if you see any down branches or debris that you throw it off rather than running it over allowing it to free into the base and become a hazard for riders and groomers.

Thank you for patience and please ride safely, this will not be the most ideal riding of the season, but it is a start.

eyeman

Nice report. We'll be there Monday to avoid the weekend traffic and enjoy the wonderful trail system. Thank you.

paul10455

Hi, I really appreciate your reports. I do have a couple of questions. I was in Hayward this weekend riding. I noticed that Trail 77 had been plowed down to the road base (coming from Hayward) for several miles past the last house. Why is the county plowing this part of the trail?

I also noticed the County had also plowed Thannum Road down to the base for many miles until it intersects with Trail 77. Again, why is the County destroying this part of the trail? Neither of these roads have been plowed to this extent in prior years. It really messes up the riding in these areas.

Again, thank you for all the updates and the grooming work done by the various clubs in the area!!

Hi, I really appreciate your reports. I do have a couple of questions. I was in Hayward this weekend riding. I noticed that Trail 77 had been plowed down to the road base (coming from Hayward) for several miles past the last house. Why is the county plowing this part of the trail?

I also noticed the County had also plowed Thannum Road down to the base for many miles until it intersects with Trail 77. Again, why is the County destroying this part of the trail? Neither of these roads have been plowed to this extent in prior years. It really messes up the riding in these areas.

Again, thank you for all the updates and the grooming work done by the various clubs in the area!!
Sorry for our tardy reply...we had some technical issues to contend with, but wanted to get back to you regarding your questions about Trail 77 and Thannum Road. Unfortunately, there is some logging that is taking place back in that area, so for this season it will remain plowed. It isn't something that will continue forever, just for the duration of the logging.