Heated Shield Troubleshooting

Snirtdawg

My shield is not working on my 2010 Rush. Is there a way to place a tester at the shield to determine if I am getting power to the helmet. Any help would be appreciated to fix this issue!

T

Team Elkhorn

Hook up a test light just like this to the end of the plug that you plug it into the shield and start the sled. If you get a light on the tester, you have power to the shield.
View attachment 36756

anonomoose

First check the fuse..make sure it has not blown. Then.....

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and locate the electric center, pull a $12 voltmeter off the shelf and take it home.

First use the Ohm meter to test for continuity on the shield itself. This tests for a continuous loop so that the power can run completely thru the shield. Set the meter to ohms touch the two connectors (refer to pic by Elkhorn above) to the ring and center point in the plug to the shield. You should get a reading on the ohm meter indicating you have an UNBROKEN wire or heat tape. If you get no reading you have an issue with the shield or wiring to it.

Then set to 12 volts and check the other end of the plug to the sled where you should find 12 volts or more again checking the center and side of the plug. If you have not battery in your sled, be sure the sled is running....if you have no power check for a fuse on the sled or crushed/ broken wire.

One or the other is not working... save the voltmeter for the next time you need to be sure that your wire is unbroken or that a fuse has not blown.

Class dismissed...quiz on Friday!

racerx

One thing to consider is if you sled needs a certain RPM to turn on the plug as I believe mine (DOO) needs to be at 2000 to activate the 12v plug, in essence it will not be hot at idle.

Snirtdawg

We did the 150 loop around Madison yesterday,shield never worked and I could have used it due to the snow, etc. I check it out todays, thanks for the advise. Conditions were great! Best in the midwest right now. NE, SE and NW quads the best. TeamElkhorn, you need to hit that if have not already!

Snirtdawg

So I did a continuity check all the way back to the two wire connector that comes out of the large wire harness and getting no power. There is no fuse that I am aware of in the line, etc. I'm stumped as it worked last year and no plausable explanation as to why it is not working this year.

Builder Bob

So I did a continuity check all the way back to the two wire connector that comes out of the large wire harness and getting no power. There is no fuse that I am aware of in the line, etc. I'm stumped as it worked last year and no plausable explanation as to why it is not working this year.

Sorry for missunderstanding, but;
When you checked for continuity? Did you confirm that you have continuity ? Y/N?
This check has nothing to do with voltage (power).

First use the Ohm meter to test for continuity on the shield itself. This tests for a continuous loop so that the power can run completely thru the shield. Set the meter to ohms touch the two connectors (refer to pic by Elkhorn above) to the ring and center point in the plug to the shield. You should get a reading on the ohm meter indicating you have an UNBROKEN wire or heat tape. If you get no reading you have an issue with the shield or wiring to it.

T

Team Elkhorn

We did the 150 loop around Madison yesterday,shield never worked and I could have used it due to the snow, etc. I check it out todays, thanks for the advise. Conditions were great! Best in the midwest right now. NE, SE and NW quads the best. TeamElkhorn, you need to hit that if have not already!
Sorry Snirtdawg I'm not familiar with Polaris wiring. I just hooked ours direct to the batteries. I'm always surprised how small those little wires are for the shields and I've never had one break yet.
As for riding we always have family staying at the house over the holidays. So I never expect to ride until afterwards. Plus I'm not a big fan of the crowds. I might see how busy I am at work next week and sneak over near New Glarus for a quick ride after the weekend.
My grandkids however went though a ton of gas on the Kitty Cat and the Lynx which is awesome! I don't think there is an inch of snow in my yard or the lake that isn't tracked up. I even had them moving snow from the drifts with their plastic pull sleds to cover the bare spots they made on the lawn.:)

anonomoose

When all else fails, run a ground from the battery or chassis to the outer ring on the plug and a fresh clean well connected line from the battery bypassing the on off switch if there is one and all other hook ups to the shield...if the shield works then this isolates the issue to your wiring...if it doesn't work, you have a problem with the shield and related connections. Those wires are indeed tiny and a crushed spot will give you fits, working and giving continuity now but not enough to carry the load to heat the shield. It is there somewhere and you have to search it down until you find it. Complete wire loop means it should be working if you supply the power to it.