heating your pool

ricko_49

Anyone else out there besides John use there wood boiler to heat a swimming pool? I recently got a price on the heat exchanger and accessories to heat a 26,000 gallon pool. I was shocked to see that it cost well over $1,000. am I wrong or are those heat exchanger that expensive?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
You can make your own for around $100 in parts. If you are not very comfortable in sweating copper, then perhaps hire a plumber to do it for you.

The setup is pretty simple. One copper tube runs inside a larger one. The inside one has the hot water running through it and the outside one has the pool water running through it (around the inner tube). You make everything water tight by using reducing T's at each end of the copper tubing. The T's fit over the end of the larger diameter, outer tube and then the inner tube runs inside the one end of the reducing T, the third part of the T is where you attach the fittings for the lines to and from the pool.

I made mine with a 4 foot sections of copper and it warms the water around 10-15 degrees. For your size pool, you might want to make two and piggy back them.

-John

red600ho

I made a few very cheap solar heater for my pool. I took 200 ft of 1 1/2 black irrigation hose from Menard's and ran it up to the roof of my porch. And coiled it flat on the roof. It faces south and the radiant heat from the shingles and the sun warms the water up about 10 - 15 degrees. I made up a network of valves by the pump that I can run the filter/pump through the coil of tubing or run it directly back to the pool. Granted it only works when the sun is out. But usually when the sun it out I'm in the pool.

freezinbevr

This might work!

Just came across this, pretty simple. Not wood burning with this option pictured, but I'm
sure modifications can be made!!

Attachments

• Pool heater.jpg
    Pool heater.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 102

xcr440

Just came across this, pretty simple. Not wood burning with this option pictured, but I'm
sure modifications can be made!!

That looks about like holding a match under a kettle of water to boil it......I don't think it would get very far.

ricko_49

I ended up taking a 6" piece of stainless, 4 feet long, put 6 1/2" tubes inside of it, welded them in and put the connections for the boiler to the 1/2" pipe, the pool hooks up to the 6" pipe. It's been running for 4 days and today the water was 80 degrees with the solar cover on as well.