Helmet

tritonmark

Rode last weekend in the snow and sheild was iceing up on me. My question is would a newer hjc with a electric sheild for around $150 work or go with a modular type helmet that costs more?

fatdaddy

u just need to get the heat/breath away from your shield, try a face mask with a breath guard/deflector on it, maybe crack your sheild a little. If all else fails use a moto cross helmet with double lens goggles, it will never frost up

u just need to get the heat/breath away from your shield, try a face mask with a breath guard/deflector on it, maybe crack your sheild a little. If all else fails use a moto cross helmet with double lens goggles, it will never frost up
Man, I hope you're right. I'm switching from my Bombardier Modular 2 to an HJC MX helmet. As for the thread starter, my experience is that the Bombardier may work for someone who never sweats, but I'm not that guy.

arcticman

If the snow is falling no helmet will keep from icing unless it has the heated sheild. You still need something to wipe off water beads with, at least I do.

saber

I use a HJC helmet with a heated shield and have zero problems during even the real cold days below zero.

I also wear my motorcross helmet with regular goggles on days when it is above 20 degrees and have had no issue with that either.

The helmet with the heated shield is definetly warmer, but on the mild days I enjoy not having a cord and being able to take off the goggles with a Quick Strap during trail stops.

tritonmark

helmet

Saber with the goggle set up do you ever get hit in the face from the the ice coming off the sled in front of you?? Also with the heated sheild does the hand warmer have to be on at all times to make it work or does the plug have a direct wire to the battery that keeps it on? Guess I'm saying is how do you know the sheild is working, does it get warm??

I have a heated shield,bought it after I went over the handle bars from my shield icing over. I will never go back. I'll probably buy a motocross style if I do a lot more off trail riding. The cord is always hot. The only way to find out if its not working is to put a voltage meter on it. If it ices up, it isn't working. There will be instructions on which wires to splice into on your particular sled or search for the answer on here. The cord "tying" you to the sled is something you won't notice. The only problem was when it came out of my helmet and grounded to the sled, that will shut the motor down.

My advice would be to buy it. I don't wear the breathbox and I haven't for 5 years.

timo

I have a heated shield,bought it after I went over the handle bars from my shield icing over. I will never go back. I'll probably buy a motocross style if I do a lot more off trail riding. The cord is always hot. The only way to find out if its not working is to put a voltage meter on it. If it ices up, it isn't working. There will be instructions on which wires to splice into on your particular sled or search for the answer on here. The cord "tying" you to the sled is something you won't notice. The only problem was when it came out of my helmet and grounded to the sled, that will shut the motor down.

My advice would be to buy it. I don't wear the breathbox and I haven't for 5 years.

I wear an HJC with electric shield and never get frosted up ever. No matter what. I hardly even notice the cord hanging by me. Another way you can check to see if it works is unplug it from your helmet and stick your tongue on it, you'll feel a very, very, light tingling sensation and then you know its working. I do it and you won't get electrolucted and it doesn't hurt.

POLARIS TURBO

Go with the heated shield !! Never fogs and keeps warm around your face ,i can definitely tell when mine unplugs or i forget to plug it in!! Also you can get a shield power tester on ebay for like 9 dollars ,it tests the power coming from the cord and also acts as a flashlight because it is a led light !! Trust me electric shields work great!!!!!!!!!!!!

squat

Electric shields are very good. Have used them in the past. I see a lot now that have a LED indicator light showing its working. I smoke so wanted a modular. Did not like the Doo ones so I found a Polaris in 05 that was nice. Have never iced up ever! I have had sweat freeze in the far corners a couple times but never had a problem with vision. The only advantage a heated shield helps is riding in freezing rain. My gloves have a rubber scraper for that but its kinda pain in the butt scrapping all the time.

saber

My Renegade has a place to plug in the factory pigtail for the heated shield, it is on the same circuit as the hand grips and taillights. I know this because every once in a while I drop the cord and it hits the tunnel and pops the fuse. I have never had a issue otherwise. As long as the cord is plugged in and the grips are warm the shield had worked.

I wear a balaclave (sp Nash?) under my motorsross helmet and make sure there is no exsposed skin when I put on the goggles (get a Quikstrap kit, aprox $12.00) and do not use a breath deflector and have had no problems. But then again I am usually in front leading and/or do not get close enough to get hit with any ice chunks from another sled.

We were riding a week ago in a hard snow/ice pellet storm and at higher speeds I could feel the tingle of the precip thru the balaclave but otherwise no big deal.

Banjo Man

My wife wears the HJC and had fogging issues. I used rubbing alcohol on the inside and outside of the mask and it works pretty well.

dcfroe

GMAX modular with a heated shield is THE BEST investment I ever made. Chad at M & M in Houghton recammended it and I'm glad he did. He has sold 3 more to our group since then.

700classic

I wear an HJC with electric shield and never get frosted up ever. No matter what. I hardly even notice the cord hanging by me. Another way you can check to see if it works is unplug it from your helmet and stick your tongue on it, you'll feel a very, very, light tingling sensation and then you know its working. I do it and you won't get electrolucted and it doesn't hurt.
So next time I go down the trail and see someone licking the inside of their shield I shouldn't worry, they are just checking to see if is working? Sorry LMAO at the visual.

OK,just read it again this morning and I see what I missed. Don't lick the visor! Just touch the cord to your tongue. Maybe I should read things twice before commenting. Still funny visual

Last edited:

frnash

… I wear a balaclave [sic] (sp Nash?) under my motorsross [sic] helmet and make sure there is no exsposed [sic] skin when I put on the goggles …

Since you asked: :D
It's balaclava, and it derives from the town of Balaklava (Ukrainian: Балаклава, Russian: Балаклава, Crimean Tatar: Balıqlava) a former city on the Crimean peninsula and currently part of the city of Sevastopol (Севастополь), where soldiers first wore them during the Battle of Balaclava in the Crimean War (1853-1856). See also "The Charge of the Light Brigade" (poem), by Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

Now ya want a dissertation on "motorsross" [sic] and "exsposed"[sic] too? :)

Doncha just luv "fun with English" (and assorted other languages)? ;)