Helmets in the UP

clark_w

We plan on making at least 1 trip up to the UP with our General this summer for the first time, I don't think I have to wear a helmet with my General and I have a windshield on it, my question is, do most people ride with or without helmets with side by side in the UP?

CW

megan600

We have done both. when just doing an easy cruise we have not worn them, but there are days when we know we will play harder and wear them as an extra precaution. I actually feel a little more relaxed having mine on. Gives me that extra sense of security as things get rough. Also helps with dust and bugs, yes a windshield helps, but sometimes its still so dusty when traveling in a group. Enjoy!

jtm_67

According to the DNR website if the machine has a supporting roof with equal to or better than the support of a dot3 rated helmet and you are wearing seat belts you do not need one.
Copied from the ATV Handbook:

For Operators and Passengers
■ All ORV operators and passengers must wear a U.S.
Department of Transportation–approved crash helmet and
protective eyewear, except when:
• The operator and passengers are wearing properly adjusted
and fastened safety belts in an ORV equipped with a roof
that meets or exceeds the standards for a crash helmet or…
• The ORV is operated on a state-licensed game bird
hunting preserve at a speed of 10 mph or less or…
• The ORV operator is the invited guest or family member
of the landowner or the landowner of the property where
the ORV is being operated. This last exception does not
apply to the following operators.
- Operators less than 16 years of age
- Operators 16 or 17 years of age, unless a parent has given
consent for the operator to ride without a helmet
- Operators participating in an organized ORV riding or
racing event if the property owner receives consideration
for use of the property
■ In 2012, Michigan passed a law giving some street-legal
motorcycle operators the option of not wearing a helmet
when operating on roadways. This law does not apply to
ORVs, and helmets are still legally required to be worn by
operators and passengers on ORVs.

clark_w

Thanks all,
I definitely appreciate the feedback, and will for sure, at least take them along. And communication back and forth with passenger is difficult enough without helmets, it has to be almost impossible with helmets on, unless you are stopped?

CW

megan600

For ATV / SXS riding we use open face with goggles. Yeah we gotta talk loud or yell a little while trying to communicate much, but its not bad. We aren't having long in depth conversations while playing anyways.

02Bracing

We use MX style helmets with goggles and we each have Rugged Radios with helmet kits and PTT buttons. We use the same setup for the sleds but different helmets. Will never ride without radios again. We always wear helmets in the sxs and on the Atv. Easier to keep one on the little one if mom and dad are wearing theirs.