help no water.

scottc

John or anyone that can help,

My name is Scott and my friend I will leave unnamed needs some direction or advice. My friend bought a place in Mass City Mi. and has shared a well that is on the neighbors property next door for the past 6 years. In which in the deed to the property he bought it states he has water rights to this well. There was an agreement and my friend paid for the use of this well. The property next door burned down and now the owner refuses to communicate with my friend to get the well pump turned back on. My friend has been told not go on the property or it could be considered trespassing. We are looking for any advice or direction, or person to contact to just get the water back on so the house is usable. This has been going on for approximately 9 months. We cant use it nor can it be rented.

Help,

Scott

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I have no experience with anything like this, but I would think bringing in the deed to the sheriffs office or a lawyer or both would be a good place to start.

-John

scottc

thanks

I have no experience with anything like this, but I would think bringing in the deed to the sheriffs office or a lawyer or both would be a good place to start.

-John

Thanks John. I was just checking if you knew anyone out there or lawyers that might know the process before we spend all kinds of money and get nowhere.

MZEMS2

I would get the township or village, the sheriffs dept, and the insurance carrier for the neighbor's house all involved. If the house burned, it's pretty much up to the insurance company as to what the future holds for the property. If there is some sort of investigation into the fire going on, this would be the best bet around that also I would think. Maybe it was arson and the "owner" is in deep...so he's holding it against anyone he can. If your buddy holds a written document stating the facts about water rights, it seems like a sealed deal.

craigrev

What are the logistics? If the pressure tank and switch are in the neighboring house your friend will need to install these items in his house as well as running wires to supply power to the pump (if submersible) and cap off the line to the burnt house. I would consult a well expert and get a plan to get that well running again but might be less money and hassle to have his own well drilled if lawyers get involved. Good luck!

L

lenny

What are the logistics? If the pressure tank and switch are in the neighboring house your friend will need to install these items in his house as well as running wires to supply power to the pump (if submersible) and cap off the line to the burnt house. I would consult a well expert and get a plan to get that well running again but might be less money and hassle to have his own well drilled if lawyers get involved. Good luck!

x2

dblshock

' In which in the deed to the property he bought it states he has water rights to this well'

Was the well and/or switch gear damaged by the fire?

talk to an attorney, he should be able to recover his fees as part of a settlement and the new owner who if found in breach would have to pay for all litigations necessary to correct the injustice.

durphee

Much cheaper and extremely faster to just drill your own well and get it done with. We had a "community" well before and it can be nothing but hassles if something goes wrong. Drill it, plumb it up in to your cabin and you'll enjoy the freedom of being water independent.

scottiking

Can't drilling a new well cost up to $10,000? My shack in Twin Lakes is 135 feet deep! can't be too cheap for that?
if a guy could do a sand point well and pound that in your self would be cheap but with the rock and what not around there i would bet it could be pricey for a new well!
Maybe contact a realtor from the area!
I used Karen Lahti
320 Shelden Ave
Houghton Mi 49931
906-370-5130

She is everywhere up there and seems to know everything up there!
Scottiking

Much cheaper and extremely faster to just drill your own well and get it done with. We had a "community" well before and it can be nothing but hassles if something goes wrong. Drill it, plumb it up in to your cabin and you'll enjoy the freedom of being water independent.

Can't drilling a new well cost up to $10,000? My shack in Twin Lakes is 135 feet deep! can't be too cheap for that?
if a guy could do a sand point well and pound that in your self would be cheap but with the rock and what not around there i would bet it could be pricey for a new well!
Maybe contact a realtor from the area!
I used Karen Lahti
320 Shelden Ave
Houghton Mi 49931
906-370-5130

She is everywhere up there and seems to know everything up there!
Scottiking

I thought the average price per ft was around $12 a ft. Could be different in that area. We had ours put in at about 75 ft and replumbed the whole cabin ourselves and a new water heater for about $1700, BUT THAT WAS TEN YRS AGO.

m8man

I had a well drilled and put in in 2006 on my property near Gay. It is 190ft, and with the pressure tank, and having it all wired in and connected to the plumbing was $9k. ouch

I would think it would be correct to go to the sheriff's office to start, with proof of your right, and then proceed from there. If the owner hasn't started to rebuild soon after the fire I doubt that he will. Ultimately, you man need an atty to recover your costs as it is unlikely the owner will pony up to get you going.

good luck

elf

Different area but when we had our well put in at our cabin in 2006 it was 240', 220' of which was solid rock, and the run to the cabin, pump, etc... was $7500. The driller that did ours said while it costs a lot more to drill through the rock you save it because he doesn't have to put steel casing all the way down.

Different area but when we had our well put in at our cabin in 2006 it was 240', 220' of which was solid rock, and the run to the cabin, pump, etc... was $7500. The driller that did ours said while it costs a lot more to drill through the rock you save it because he doesn't have to put steel casing all the way down.

Man that doesn't add up. Down here in NW Ohio I had a new well put in back in 96 and our well driller ended up at 207ft. And it was rock all the way down as well. He only charged me $2000. I did the rest of the work ourselves. Like I said earlier, I also had a well put in up at our cabin near mio Mi and he ended up at 70 ft deep and had to put casing all the way down, we put a new pressure tank, all new plumbing, a used well pump and did it all the work ourselves and we only had like $1700 tops. Holy cripes I guess it does pay to do the work ourselves.