Help with a good route for our trip

big10champ2003

I am coming up to the Twin Lakes area and staying at Krupp's resort for the first time this year in Feb. I was wondering if anyone out there knows a good route to take for some snowmobiling. We will be in the area for 7 nights so no need to get it all done in one day. Would like some trail riding and some good boondocking suggestions. Also, is there an area where you can go to just play around? You know climb unclimbed hills, boondock, get some air....you know the good stuff.

I have been to the U.P. the last 3 yrs and have never gotton farther than Greenland....kinda gettin sick of the trail riding all day.

Any and all help would be great....as I would like to start plugging into my gps some good routes to take. Thanks for your help in advance.

deang

B10C,IF YOU HAVE NEVER GOTTEN FARTHER THAN GREENLAND,ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS HEAD NORTH,ANYWHERE,AND YOU WILL FIND EVERYTHING YOU ARE ASKING FOR.

A

admin

From Twin Lakes you can see a lot. Day trips are possible to Copper Harbor and the Porkies via the trails. Lots of side trails to take both north of Twin Lakes and south.

As far off trail, boondocking. There is a boondockers creed that says: Keep Your Lips Zipped! Honestly, the good spots are like good fishing holes. Once you tell everyone (which putting it on this site would do), they are not good spots anymore. Plus it is pretty much impossible to tell you in this manner anyways. It's not like saying turn right on 1st street and then a left on Main. It's more like take a left at that stump, only there are 1000's of stumps up here! With that said they are there. Some great boondocking spots both north of TL and south. Part of the fun is finding them!

If you are looking for an all day boondocking adventure and do not want to spend the time looking for them, then hook up with my buddies running Keweenaw Snow Expeditions.

-John

big10champ2003

Thanks for the help.....I here ya on the not giving away your hideouts on the boondocking bit, now that I think about it, it was a dumb question.

But...Since I am an out-of-towner....are there any rules about going on property that is not yours? I mean I buy the trail passes and that gives me the ok to be on the trails....but is it ok to just go exploring off trail to find those good boondocking spots? Do the guides have the ok to go in those spots or are they taking risks. I mean around my area people could get shot if they are not to be on the land.

I just dont want to feel like i am breaking any laws nor do I want to break any. Also....I (dont like to dig in another mans frig without asking) i guess

big10champ2003

John-

Thanks for the KSE link. I think that might be the ticket. I will be checking them out to see if they are available during my trip.

Thanks again

erkoehler

Big10champ2003, it is trespassing to go on to property that is not yours. IT IS NOT ok to explore off trail on private land without permission.

A

admin

erkoehler is right. Trespassing is trespassing. If you do not have permission to be on the land, you are trespassing. Not knowing if you have permission or not is not a valid excuse. I don't think you will get shot, but could get arrested and will also be doing no good for the snowmobile community.

KSE does have permission to be on the land they ride. Some of it even belongs to KSE guides and you will ride pass no trespassing signs or no snomobiling signs, but they belong to KSE members or friends/family of KSE. Kind of one of the bonuses of riding with them, you get to go where even some of the locals can't! Which kind of brings up a point to other boondockers that come up here. Just because you see tracks going into an area, does not mean it is OK for you to go there. Unless you KNOW you are OK to ride there, best not go.

If you want to get off on your own, you can get a plat book, but they have not been updated in a few years and unless you are VERY good at map reading and reconnoitering, then you are apt to get lost, or trespass or both!

-John

big10champ2003

Erkoehler-John.....

Thanks. Thats what I was thinking. I knew, and figured it would be trespassing. I did go to there website. I will be emailing them to find out what all they have available for the days during my trip. Just trying to do things right. (It)only takes one to wreck thing for the rest of us.

Also, getting lost is the best part.....but my gps works wonders. Never let me down yet!