Here We Go Again!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
NEW YORK —
Toilet paper shortages in stores across America are giving folks nightmarish reminders of the pandemic era. But the lack of toilet paper isn’t a direct result of a major port strike Tuesday. It’s because of panic buying.
Reports of shortages filled social media Tuesday, showing empty shelves where toilet paper and, to a lesser extent, paper towels were supposed to be.

“They cleaned out the toilet paper at my local Walmart in Virginia. Toilet paper hoarding 2.0!,” wrote one person in a post on X, along with a photo of empty shelves. “Shelves at Costco & Target running low or out of paper towels in Monmouth County NJ,” posted another X user. “Seeing people buying TP & water too in reax to port strike. Costco employee told me they were sold out of TP/paper towels this am.”

But the strike at ports from Maine to Texas will have absolutely zero impact on the supply of these products.

The overwhelming majority — more than 90% by some estimates — of U.S. toilet paper consumption comes from domestic factories. Most of the rest comes from Canada and Mexico, which means it most likely arrives by rail or truck, not ship.

If you want to stock up on something, buy bananas. They get here by ship and only have a shelf life of about two weeks from the time they're cut from a tree until they land on your countertop.

In other words, don't go bananas over toilet paper. There's plenty to go around.

pclark

People started buying up all the baby formula right away. Virtually every store is out of it, my around some at Costco so she is good but who knows. I do think the media has driven the panic meter sky high as usual.

euphoric1

this is just more proof of how selfish the people we share this world with are, Just PATHETIC! I can remember this crap playing out during pandemic, seeing a woman at a grocery store with a cart full of an amount of like items that at the time people were hoarding there was no way she could possibly use herself, and I asked her " are you really going to use all that?" and all I got was a look. this is when the true colors of people really show and it amounts to two words... SELFISHNESS & PATHETIC! and they will be the first ones on the news whining and crying when they cant get what they need, what a JOKE!