Hip replacement coming up

mspease

mezz seemed to get some really good advice for his knee, so I thought I'd give it a try. An old high school football injury has gotten so bad, I need a right hip replacement. I meet with the surgeon June 29th and hope to set a date. I have "advanced" and "severe" arthritis in my hip and it is bone on bone with bone spurs. I thought I just dislocated my hip in high school, but they said it was also broken and healed up.

It sounds like hip replacement is very common with over a 90% success rate and fairly quick recovery. I hate to mess up my golf season, and of course, I need to be ready for snowmobiling season, but I don't think I can wait until fall as the pain can be excruciating. Any advice is welcome.

whitedust

So sorry to hear about this Mark. I have a very good friend that had severe hip problems and he had both replaced. He was a runner and wore out both hips. His surgery was a huge success but is very careful what he does no waterskiing and no running just walks for excercise. I asked him if he wanted to try snowmobiling and he thought that was too risky. Be sure to tell surgeon exactly the life you want to resume after surgery so he knows your expectations.

mspease

Thanks Pete! They have told me I may get some fall golf in this year and will be snowmobiling no problem this winter.

mezz

I wish you all the best in that procedure. I am certain you will feel so much better after it is all said & done. I know what bone on bone & spurs feel like & for those that don't, "It SUCKS". Your quality of life will be dramatically improved. I wish the best for you.

jmag

i had both done in 2018. If possible, you will prefer them going through the front, they dont have to cut through as much muscle that way. they have you walking within a couple hours of getting off the table. i felt better on that walk than i did walking into the hospital. mine were damaged badly as well and they had to go through the back of the leg. get a "hip kit" from amazon for about $30. it has tools to help with putting on socks and shoes, leg lifter, grabber etc. it sucks for a while but will be life changing. good luck

mspease

Good info jmag! I believe they will be doing mine from the front but will find out for sure on the 29th. Thanks!

stitcher

Went to the doc yesterday for my hip and was referred to a surgeon. Doc said I have "moderate" arthritis - not sure how that compares to advanced or severe. All I know it's uncomfortable to walk, swing a leg over & shift the bike. I don't want to think about not doing something I enjoy because of pain - if I can help it. I hope if I do have something done the recovery period is short, obviously.

G

G

We are all lucky to be alive in this day and age. Fifty years ago there was no such thing as hip or knee or ankle replacement procedures. A person just had to live with it. Good luck with your procedure. And follow Drs orders afterwards. You will be up and around and better than ever!

mspease

I know, I was thinking the other day "what did they do years ago?" and I knew the answer. They just lived with it. Not sure how they did it, this pain would drive me insane eventually. Thanks!

scottiking

mezz seemed to get some really good advice for his knee, so I thought I'd give it a try. An old high school football injury has gotten so bad, I need a right hip replacement. I meet with the surgeon June 29th and hope to set a date. I have "advanced" and "severe" arthritis in my hip and it is bone on bone with bone spurs. I thought I just dislocated my hip in high school, but they said it was also broken and healed up.

It sounds like hip replacement is very common with over a 90% success rate and fairly quick recovery. I hate to mess up my golf season, and of course, I need to be ready for snowmobiling season, but I don't think I can wait until fall as the pain can be excruciating. Any advice is welcome.
I did mine 5 years ago at 56 years of age
Played softball 11 weeks after, play hockey, boondock and jump off the tailgate of my Ram no issues
Best thing I ever did was miserable for 6-7 years and felt it aged me 10 years
It’s been awesome
At the end I couldn’t sleep 10 min at a time I was in so much pain, wore me down
I’m a never go to the dr guy so I feel pretty dumb for waiting so long
Walked with a walked 4 hours after surgery
Shop docs and read reviews
Ya don’t want to get a hack job- those are the 10% bad ones you hear about
Scottiking out

mspease

The pain is incredible, that's for sure scottiking. Sleeping is becoming an issue for me and I can't wait to get this done. Appreciate the info. Can't wait to meet with my surgeon on Wednesday!!

mspease

Met with my surgeon this week and it will be a total hip replacement through the front on August 5th. I can't wait! The pain is getting pretty bad, especially when I drive my truck. Wednesday I spent 9 hours in the truck and 6 hours today. I had to stop every hour or two and get out and move the hip around a bit.

whitedust

Met with my surgeon this week and it will be a total hip replacement through the front on August 5th. I can't wait! The pain is getting pretty bad, especially when I drive my truck. Wednesday I spent 9 hours in the truck and 6 hours today. I had to stop every hour or two and get out and move the hip around a bit.
Good luck with surgery and recovery! I’m having problems with my left shoulder but usually a cortisone shot helps me a lot.

mezz

Glad to hear that you can get in sooner than later. With as much discomfort as you are experiencing now, you will feel like a new man the day that it's done. Just don't over do it right out of the gate, take it easy & heal well.

mspease

Good luck with surgery and recovery! I’m having problems with my left shoulder but usually a cortisone shot helps me a lot.
Cortisone shots have worked for me in the past on my elbows, but we tried on my hip and no help at all. Thanks!

ibendwire

Good luck with your surgery. My dad had both hips done and said the pain the day after surgery was less than he had before he surgery.