Home Weather Station Recommendation

robinson

Hey John,

Curious to know your thoughts about any recommendations for quality home weather stations/programs that are pretty affordable that would help us become amateur meteorologists?!

Neil

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I can only recommend one brand name with a good conscience. That would be Davis. They are more expensive, but all others I have tried, or heard others have issues out of the box or try poop out pretty quickly.

Mine is the Vantage Pro 2, wireless.

frnash

I can only recommend one brand name with a good conscience. That would be Davis. They are more expensive, but all others I have tried, or heard others have issues out of the box or try poop out pretty quickly.

Mine is the Vantage Pro 2, wireless.
There's a lot of junk products out there that purport to be weather stations.
I have to agree fully with John's recommendation. Davis is the way to go!

I would also unhesitatingly recommend (click→) Ambient Weather as my vendor of choice.

I have been lusting over the Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless myself for some time, but it always seems to slip further down my in my budget. :dejection:

Although someone took pity on me and sent me this for my birthday last year:
(click →) Ambient Weather WS-1400-IP OBSERVER Solar Powered Wireless Internet Remote Monitoring Weather Station.

… but I'm unable to give you a review, as I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I haven't installed it yet. I'm still deciding on what I'd consider a suitable installation. :indecisiveness:

See (click →) Weather Station Mounting Solutions.
and more (click →) here. Also (click →) Weather Station Installation Guide.

(See what I mean? Decisions, decisions!)

Last edited:

frnash

Would the AcuRite systems be considered "Junk"? They seem to be popular on Amazon and affordable?
Sorry, I don't have any experience with AcuRite. And as usual the Amazon reviews are all over the place.
While I'd hesitate to call them junk, I would also not rush to buy one of them.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have any experience with AcuRite either, but my observation has been you get what you pay for with these things. If you are not looking for it to be reliable for years on end and just want it as a novelty for the next year or two, then you would probably be safe.

-John

mezz

I will agree, AcuRite is not top shelf, but, I have had one for 4 years now & I have not had any problems. I have added 2 additional receiving units, one in my shop, one in the kitchen & another in the bedroom. Inexpensive? Yes, but it does what I want out of it, especially for a back yard weather geek like me. Maybe one day when things aren't so hectic I'll get into something a bit more advanced, but, for now this will work for me.-Mezz