Homemade Ice Scratchers

wiggsfive

I have read some posts about scratchers and started looking into the ones I wanted to put on my sleds... The flexible ones seemed to be the option for me ( I know I would forget the rigid ones and back up with them down) I do not run on my glare ice lakes, mostly trails so I didnt need carbide tips. At $69.99 a pop, times three sleds, I made my own ( I'm CHEAP). Here are a few pictures of them. Used 1/0 jacketed copper.

Picture126.jpg

Picture128.jpg

Picture123.jpg

Picture124.jpg

dab102999

Looks real nice...but would be interested to see what the end looks like that hooks up to the rails after a couple hundred miles...I don't think it looks "stout" enough...but definately a good idea going on there.

polarisrider1

LOL. I run the real McCoy (slide kicks) and they take a beating. they look like they will last less time than it took to make them. The battery terminal connectors and electrical tape will get you to end of driveway, maybe. Good idea but copied. Hey are those running boards dimple died?

http://betweenthelinesdesigns.com/ Read the "What we do" part. Travis and Victoria are a very dedicated couple to snowmobiling. Smurfrider, wintertime, traveler and I got to meet them last winter in Island Park on the back side of Mt. Jefferson. I mangled up a slide kick pretty bad in a brush pile situation and they said, "No problem, we will warranty it for life. So, windingtrailgal, Art has brand new scratchers on his sled.

You will be way farther ahead by reinstalling your idler wheels. I can get you slide kicks for $55 and free shipping until saturday.

Last edited:

polarisrider1

Nice job.

Hated my slide kicks, waste of money.
Why? they work. They are on the 3rd or 4th generation of them. The white cabled ones were not to good. they use logging cable that bends better and lasts way longer. They changed the crimping method just recently to get a better bite.

Last edited:

wiggsfive

Not battery terminals but 1/0 BURNDY terminations pressed with the correct die, then HEAT SHURNK not TAPED...

Features and Benefits of the Burndy compression
• Irreversible compression.
• Material-pure wrought copper extrusions,
rod and seamless tubing––identical
material to the conductor.
Completely eliminates the possibility of
corrosion due to dissimilar metals.
• Heavy duty connector design.
All connectors will carry the equivalent
or greater carrying capacity
of the conductor while maintaining
high mechanical strength

We shall see how they work... if they work they cost ZERO with shipping :) if not I go spend the $65

snowdance

Not battery terminals but 1/0 BURNDY terminations pressed with the correct die, then HEAT SHURNK not TAPED...

Features and Benefits of the Burndy compression
• Irreversible compression.
• Material-pure wrought copper extrusions,
rod and seamless tubing––identical
material to the conductor.
�� Completely eliminates the possibility of
corrosion due to dissimilar metals.
• Heavy duty connector design.
�� All connectors will carry the equivalent
or greater carrying capacity
of the conductor while maintaining
high mechanical strength

We shall see how they work... if they work they cost ZERO with shipping :) if not I go spend the $65

So, r u willing to duplicate and sell?

rp7x

i think you need to put a track stud in there, tin / copper might not last to long i've wore out a set of hrp

Nice job.

Hated my slide kicks, waste of money.
i didnt like mine either. one fell out on my first trip with locktight. luckly there was only 1/2 in of snow and i followed my tracks for 5 miles and found it. they never threw that much snow and when i backed up with them down it threw even less. i thought about cutting the back of a stud off and welding it to the tip.

Last edited:

snowdance

Rob,

You messaged me and I replied, but it says you are unable to receive private messages. Let me know how to contact you.

Patrick

sledneck22

If you install those slidekicks in the wrong spot you take the chance of them flopping around off the ground and dingging up your rails, running boards, skis if you mount them upfront, any nearby plastics... Im just saying with the flimsiness of these you have to worry about them bouncing around and knocking little dents into everything around them. I have seen it before, makes it look like someone shot the sled from a ways away with a shotgun and all the bbs didn't penetrate, just dented everything.
Just an fyi, be careful with where you mount them.

twistgrip

All we do is put a stud facing down on the back inside of the ski. Works great and keeps the temp down on the motor too.

skidoodragon

wiggsfive: I like your thinking but scratchers take a beating. I think that those brundy lugs will bend and change the angle of the scratcher. The copper is going to wear very fast, roads ect. but no biggy if its free to replace. RABBIT!