Hooking up aux battery

2003polaris

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with a battery issue. I have a 2012 chevy silverado and want to hook up an aux battery in it. I already have the tray , what is the best way to do this ? GM wants over $300.00 for the wiring. If anyone can help me out or send pictures it would be helpfull. Thanks

jmvette427

are you looking for more cranking power or an accessory battery ? if cranking you will connect the battery in parallel, positive red to positive, negative black to negative , if you are needing an accessory battery you will need to connect a relay which is energized when key power is applied so battery will charge and wont kill the main battery. as far as cables find a good parts store and buy bulk cable, cut to your length and terminals , make your own,

danschevyv8

I found an old chevy deisel truck in the junk yard and used the cables from that. The positive ran from the aux battery to positive on the main battery and it just had a seperate ground on the second battery. This works great until one battery goes bad, when this happens both batterys go dead at the same time. dan

anonomoose

I found an old chevy deisel truck in the junk yard and used the cables from that. The positive ran from the aux battery to positive on the main battery and it just had a seperate ground on the second battery. This works great until one battery goes bad, when this happens both batterys go dead at the same time. dan

This is NOT a simple hookup....putting them both in parallel will cause one batter to over charge when the other is low. Life of the battery will be compromised.

With all the computer equipment on your truck, I would find a way to get the correct connections hooked up even if you have to pay the $300. One messed up computer on your truck will cost you some serious bread.

Other solution is to only hook the battery to the other battery "occasionally" and charge it independently.