Houghton's Heavy Snow Band

snowx426

John,
Can you please provide a little explanation of the heavy snowband that set up over the Central Keweenaw this week? How did this single LES band form, and was it influenced by the Bay, and the Prevailing ENE winds? Thanks Jason

favoritos

That is a good question. We rode right through that thing on Monday. Wow, Wow! Incredible snow and no one seemed to be talking about it before the fact. We were headed to Copper and had one of the best trail rides of my life. There were only two sleds on the trail before us and they had some pretty scared looks on their faces when we met them.

A

admin

It was what is called a convergence band. This is where winds converge at the surface and that convergence causes the air to rise and thus enhance the cloud and snow formation.

The wind convergence seemed to be caused by a small, but strong upper air disturbance. I watched that same upper disturbance track south down the lenght of Lake MI on Tuesday.

Topography did not have a role.

-John

favoritos

Topography did not have a role. That is amazing. I do know that I have never seen anything like it before. We rode the grade with snow coming over the hoods on our sleds. We were in Lac La Belle just after and someone called Dave to let him know about all the snow to the West. I confirmed it with the other guys sitting there. It was snowing like crazy. That snow was falling so hard at times that the view looking straight up was the same as looking forward. You could only see snow. Could not see the trees, or the landscape. We would have been done without knowing that trail. It was the single best day of riding that we have ever seen. The end of the day left us with about 340 more clicks on the odometer.

Got to love the U.P.

James

chords

Lk Michigan Snow Band last Tue.

102037.png