How about a JohnDee App?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
This has been discussed a few times before, here is a link to a previous post:

http://www.johndee.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?35664-Phone-app

In addition to the problems listed in that thread, I have discovered an app is not so good for a website that is very dynamic, meaning it has lots of changes. What I am in the process of making is a smart phone friendly version of the site. Not a true app, but easier to get around in with a smart phone. Also keep in mind, I am talking about the site, not the board. No changes to it for the mobile version. But you can try forumrunner. I have it running on my Iphone and it is a little better than viewing in a regular browser window, but both methods seem to work with my phone.

-John

blizzardmk

John,

Have you seen the Tapatalk app? I've used it to view other vBulletin forums, and it works pretty well. I am not familiar with forumrunner, but it may be similar.

edit: just saw that cuzzinolaf also mentioned Tapatalk in the other discussion you referenced.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, maybe I will have to give that Tapatalk app a look too. Forumrunner is pretty nice, streamlines some of the board processes and makes viewing and loading images better.

-John

L

lenny

yea,,,,, usually I just rectify the sign wave with a coefficient transmitter paralleled by a negative transducer and,,, well,,,it works for me :confused:

jd

Administrator
Staff member
yea,,,,, usually I just rectify the sign wave with a coefficient transmitter paralleled by a negative transducer and,,, well,,,it works for me :confused:

It's all in the angle of the dangle and pie-eye squared my friend!

-John

cuzzinolaf

Yea, maybe I will have to give that Tapatalk app a look too. Forumrunner is pretty nice, streamlines some of the board processes and makes viewing and loading images better.

-John

Tapatalk is a pretty slick app but costs a little. I can't remember if it was $1.99 or $4.99... definitely worth it regardless. I can show you the app the next time I see you and I'm sure you'll agree.

polarisrider1

What do the guys who want an app want it to do. My droid runs JD discussion forum just fine. I just saved it as a favorite on the screen I want it to go to: Forum-discussion board and it is saved there. Two thumb presses from a phone that is idle to here. What will an app give us?

Paul

Board Admin
Forumrunner has actually be installed on the site for over a year, I am pretty sure John put this in a thread when it was installed. It works good, takes out some of the formatting so pages load faster. The only real down side of forumrunner is that you need to pay 1.99 or something like that if you want to use it to post. A lot of apps that are written are to just reduce the size of the data coming for slower devices like phones. I currently use an android phone, and also use an android tabled both of them run the whole site including the discussion board without any issues at all. The phones when running on 3G are slow, but on 4G or Wifi there is no difference to me of the site at all.

Some issues with older phones/tablets were that they didn't support newer protocols like flash, Java, and Frame support. Without some of those protocols this site and many others didn't work well. Many companines made apps that would eliminate the protocols that phones didn't support and went to a more text based site.

If you have a newer smart phone or tablet the site should run without a lot of issues, may be slow ona slow connection but should work.

Paul

An app may relieve us from this thread being started once a month? :p

↑This was more a jab at humor for people who cannot use the search function before posting "the same old thread" than something serious........

Bookmark the discusion page and be happpy! Still want to know what an app would do for us???

↑I agree! I use an older Droid and have no problem accessing all aspects of the site without any secondary solutions, just my browser.