How many days ride?

thedoc

Out of curiosity how many days would it take to ride from Soo-Timmins-Cochrane-Hearst-Hornpayne-WaWa-Soo?

Looking for a new adventure by snowmobile. Would love the snow train option but time will tell on that.

Thanks in advance

Hoosier

Depends on how many miles a day you want to go. The path you're looking at from the Soo to Timmins involves getting gas at halfway haven. That can be a stretch for most sleds if you aren't carrying gas. If you start off in Searchmont instead it's more doable. If you start at the Soo, you could carry some small tanks to halfway, and then leave them there and pick them up on your trip back.

We basically did that loop in 3 days a couple winter ago but I wouldn't recommend it like that - too many side loops or play areas we fly by. Searchmont to Chapleau day 1. We had some sled issues that slowed us down that day. I think that's about 150. Chapleau to Halfway to Timmins to Hearst on day 2. That was about 400 I think. Then Hearst to Hornepayne to Dubreville to Wawa to Halfway to Searchmont on on day 3. That was around 400 also.

We're looking at doing that again in February. Probably do the loop the other way though. Searchmont to halfway to Wawa or Dubreville day 1. Say 200 miles. Wawa to Hornepayne to Searchmont day 2. Probably another 200. Then to Timmins day 3, probably adding some loops depending on time. Then to Chapleau then halfway then Searchmont Day 4. Possible stay at halfway the night of day 4 and take the 100 mile ride back to Searchmont on the morning of Day 5. End up with 900-1000 miles.

You have to plan well since many of the gas stops aren't open late. If you have an issue you're definitely out in the wilderness.

old abe

Depends on how many miles a day you want to go. The path you're looking at from the Soo to Timmins involves getting gas at halfway haven. That can be a stretch for most sleds if you aren't carrying gas. If you start off in Searchmont instead it's more doable. If you start at the Soo, you could carry some small tanks to halfway, and then leave them there and pick them up on your trip back.

We basically did that loop in 3 days a couple winter ago but I wouldn't recommend it like that - too many side loops or play areas we fly by. Searchmont to Chapleau day 1. We had some sled issues that slowed us down that day. I think that's about 150. Chapleau to Halfway to Timmins to Hearst on day 2. That was about 400 I think. Then Hearst to Hornepayne to Dubreville to Wawa to Halfway to Searchmont on on day 3. That was around 400 also.

We're looking at doing that again in February. Probably do the loop the other way though. Searchmont to halfway to Wawa or Dubreville day 1. Say 200 miles. Wawa to Hornepayne to Searchmont day 2. Probably another 200. Then to Timmins day 3, probably adding some loops depending on time. Then to Chapleau then halfway then Searchmont Day 4. Possible stay at halfway the night of day 4 and take the 100 mile ride back to Searchmont on the morning of Day 5. End up with 900-1000 miles.

You have to plan well since many of the gas stops aren't open late. If you have an issue you're definitely out in the wilderness.

We as a rule like to spend 6, or 7 days riding that. But we like to do loops to make it different than the trip before. Different directions, and lots to do. Make sure to do the Abitibi canyon.