How Mnkid and Grub became friends

mnkid

I knew Grub for awhile. But then along time ago I bought a 340 TXL indy he traded in. I didn't know it had some troubles before I bought it. But as luck would have it one day when I was riding I came across Grub in the bar and we ended up riding together for the first time. As the ride went on the sun went down and it started getting late. Well the hot light came on, on my new to me 340TXL so I stopped to check out my problem and nice Grub came back for me. I told him about the hot light and he just said ya it does that a lot, it must have a leak. So I said I'll have to melt some snow so we can go again. Grubs reply was oh no just take the rad cap off and pee in it that's what I always did. I said I don't have to pee and he said your in luck I do. I said I'll hold the flashlight and he said no you can't look, so I turned around and the next thing I know I could hear the exhaust pipe sizzling, Grub your missing, well he said I'm done now, it's your turn and he said he'd hold the light, I said I still don't to pee get some snow.

Grub owns the grocery store in Hallock and is a very caring person. Every week he delivers groceries for free to the senior citizens in town that can't get around well. One day I was at my aunts house and she's in her 80's and along comes Grub with her groceries. He didn't know I was related to her and her and Grub and I had a nice visit. When Grub left she told me what a saint Grub was (she's very religious and Grub is not) if she'd ever seen Grub on a snocat trip or in the bar she would have bought her groceries else ware. In our 8hr. pickup ride to Wi for trips he could tell me everybody's health issues, he didn't just deliver and leave, he talked and listened to all of them. But he didn't want me to think he was to soft, so he's come back always was if I don't do it there just going to come in the store and fall down brake a bone and sue me.

About 5 years ago Grub and I took 2 different week long trips to Wi. at the end of the last trip we're packing up to go home and Grub looks at me and said I'm having the time of my life so next year we're going on 3 trips. I looked back and said I'm having a great time too but I can't go on 3 trips with you next year. puzzle look on his face and said you said you really enjoying to why not. I said if go on 3 trips with you I'd be spending more time traveling with you than my wife and she just isn't going to understand that. Big poss and he finally said ya good point I understand.
Thanks for listening, it helps my grieving. Mnkid

scottiking

There sure are a lot of great friendships built from snowmobiling and the JD site
Thanks for sharing, I don’t think I ever met him but the stories sure make
Me feel like I have
Cheers
SCOTTIKING OUT

whitedust

So sorry for your loss. It’s difficult when a good friend passes it’s been happening to me all too often lately too.

skiroule

What a great story and a perfect spot for this post. How can you read it without smiling.

The peeing in the radiator seems like classic Grub and I loved the part where he didn’t want to appear “soft” for being so considerate of his customers so he came up with the excuse that it was motivated by his own self-interest. I also love the fact that you used the term “Snocat”. That’s a term you don’t hear much outside of northern MN.

There was a woman from Hallock that bought a resort on Lake of the Woods and used to come in the hardware store every so often before she sold it to another party. On one occasion I mentioned that I knew Tom and she just smiled and said “Grub is quite a character”. I doubt there is anyone in Hallock that didn’t know Grub.

Thanks for posting this, hopefully it helps deal with the loss of your friend and snowmobiling buddy.

He was one of a kind but the world could definitely use more Grubs.