How much to tip guides at Tog?

onefastcat

I'm going out to Tog and renting sleds, with the sled rental we're supposed to get a free guide service. Anyone know if you get one for each day you rent? And how much generally to people tip the guide?

jmom800x

Tip them well. They will treat you great and cater to your riding style. The lodge doen't overpay them, trust me. I have seen guys drop a c-note for a days tip. I guess it would all depend what type of riding you do, how often they 'help' you out and if they save your a$$ at any point in time. If you are on the package, the guide is included. As far as them being included with sled rental only, I dont know.

If your looking of some extreme boondocking and an overall fun guide, book justin. Tell him the Moms sent you.

Jacob Mom
MomsMotorSports.Com-Snowmobile Adventure Trips Out West

Last edited:

polarisrider1

Tip them well. They will treat you great and cater to your riding style. The lodge doen't overpay them, trust me. I have seen guys drop a c-note for a days tip. I guess it would all depend what type of riding you do, how often they 'help' you out and if they save your a$$ at any point in time. If you are on the package, the guide is included. As far as them being included with sled rental only, I dont know.

If your looking of some extreme boondocking and an overall fun guide, book justin. Tell him the Moms sent you.

Jacob Mom
MomsMotorSports.Com-Snowmobile Adventure Trips Out West

Totally agree with Jacob, If you can get Justin, go for it. He is in Dobsons "Born to ride7" video along with Matt Binion. I have rode with both and you will be having the time of your life with either of these guys as your guide. Carter is fantastic to if you are willing to learn! I am getting lonesome for Tog. just typing about it. Noah is another great guide.

onefastcat

Awesome thanks for the names. We do have the package deal, but i would assume you'd still tip unless you're a complete a**. So, if our guide is awesome and brings us to some extreme spots how much should we tip for three guys? 20,50,150??

cuzzinolaf

I have heard roughly $25 per person in your group. With three guys you'll most likely be with other guys you don't know. I'm not sure how to work that deal but think if he gets at least $150 from six guys you'll be good. Never had a guide and never went to Tog (was supposed to ugggh) so maybe I'm not the right person to answer.

polarisrider1

If we are in a group of 4 we tip $25 ea. per day. 6 guys about $20 each. Depends on how much they help dig you out and how much they really want to take you to the cool stuff. With Carter I view it as getting "edjucated". I only once had a guide that just wanted to sit around and have smokes. The key is to tell the lady (big red) in the sled shop what you expect and then again tell the guide what you want to do before you leave. The guide sets up a "flight plan" with the "sled shop" based on this. This is so they know generally were you are at during the day. We had a guy named Chad who was brand new and he tortured us. Be careful what you ask for. These guys are good at what they do. They are paid poorly so tip well if the service is good. Don't expect them to dig you out, but they will help you at it. A guide will take you to the un beaten up stuff you can't find on your own. They know CPR/first aid and have Avy training. I always try to have a guide out there.

Firecatguy

looks like you question been answered...I will add this---Right from Carter....anything from 20 to 30 is fine!!we feel that tipping will result in getting the best spots to ride...

dale_58

Awesome thanks for the names. We do have the package deal, but i would assume you'd still tip unless you're a complete a**. So, if our guide is awesome and brings us to some extreme spots how much should we tip for three guys? 20,50,150??
How many people are going in your group?
How much was your package and what is included.Thanks Dale

loriwlrc

the average tips are around $20 - $25 per person even here in the U.P.,ANOTHER GREAT GUIDE THAT SOOOOO IMPRESSED me was Lefty, a 1 armed rider! yes he can out ride anyone