Hunting in Czech Republic - Sika and Fallow Hirsch

Dom36

Thee opener, you know, November 15th is just around the corner. Got to get the Yooper Deer Camps in proper mode :cool:

Czech Republic, Bohemia, similar terrain as the Yooper, rolling hills with some pretty steep. Hunted for both Sika and Fallow Stags and had a fantastic hunt. First hunted near Listany for Sika Hirsch. These deer have been in Czech for around 70+ years, and spread out. The area is in Bohemia, mixed woods and fields like much of Europe, and very pretty. Cold front was pushing through, in the evening was scattered rainshowers but it turned to snow during the night. This was at the end of the Rut, but the Sika were still fighting, whistling, and chasing the Does.

The Lodge we stayed in:
LISTANY LODGE.jpg

Saw a few younger Hirsch, and later on a good, older Hirsch came through and the shot was good. I used my standard out of local area rifle, a Blaser R93 in 300 WinMag, stout charge of H4831SC pushing the Barnes TTSX 180gr bullet, and it has proven itself.
DOMS SIKAHIRSCH2.jpg

After a nice evening of Deer steak washed down with original Pils Budwar, the next day the snow kept up and midday on the drive to Domazlice it turned into winter.
HIRSCH MTN1.jpg

Started out hunting from a stand that evening, and again was fortunate in tagging a great Damhirsch (Fallow Stag).
DOMS DAMHIRSCH2.jpg

Now comes the good part. After dressing the Hirsch we stalked through the side of the mountain, the Stags were rutting big time. They get in the thickest stuff possible, and it is dark. We snuck in to between 11 and 15 meters from a grand old Hirsch, running off middle class and lower Hirsch off while keeping his women near. Unbelievable. A great old Stag just meters from you and you can have difficulty judging him because it is so dark. But just the experience is something that will stick in my memory. Once it got dark we met the tractor as it came up the mountain to get my Hirsch, and we loaded it in the wagon on a bed of pine boughs and jumped in for the ride down. Once down we hung it and celebrated with a couple shots and a beer.

My good friend tagged out on his Sika up North and joined us the next evening. I went hunting for Does while he hunted for a Hirsch. Diana was with us for sure this trip, and he was fortunate in also getting a great old Hirsch. That evening I shot a Schmalreh (Roe Doe) and a Damtier (Fallow Doe). And the tradition starts again. You just don't get to experience these type hunts all that often. We dressed and loaded the Deer up, then went to get Bob's Hirsch. A great hunt.
DAM & REH HANGING.jpg

I won't make it to Yooper Deer Camp this year, near Gwinn, but wish you all a great hunt and enjoy the outdoors! Waidmannsheil, Dom.