Hvac ?

Wild Bill

Johndee folks... any input on HVAC? Had a friend recommend American Standard as a great brand without a big price tag. I'm looking for a high quality furnace and A/C unit for a good value. If there's an off-label brand you know of please feel free to share...

Also, if you're an HVAC contractor in Chicago area let me know!

Thanks,

WILD BILL

freezinbevr

Johndee folks... any input on HVAC? Had a friend recommend American Standard as a great brand without a big price tag. I'm looking for a high quality furnace and A/C unit for a good value. If there's an off-label brand you know of please feel free to share...

Also, if you're an HVAC contractor in Chicago area let me know!

Thanks,

WILD BILL

Wild Bill,
American Standard is the generic Trane. All the equipment has there own little issues so the Quality will come from the guy/gal installing it. Proper installation=no/few problems. Improper install=lots of problems and short life of the unit. It all comes down to having the proper parts and service knowledge to repair when it breaks. (not IF it breaks, WHEN!) They all do break sooner or later.
I'm in the Twin Cities, I Believe Windingtrailgal and her husband have a business in Illinois if I remember correctly? Maybe give her a PM. Boxes are boxes, have a reputable person install it who isn't looking to slam it in in an hour and a half and you should be good. Referrals from friends/family are huge, just start asking them who they have used and what they liked/disliked.
Oh, and if someone says they have seen it all and done it all...don't hire them! I get humbled by a lot of OLD and newer setups quite often, but then again I'm just a rookie only starting my 2nd quarter century doing this!!

Let me know if I can help answer any other questions.

Thanks, Brad 612-282-2352

jeepbob47

I have a guy in Antioch Illinois. Call me at 847 525 4758 . My first Goodman a/c lasted 17 years and was replaced by a Goodman. He replaced my furnance and added aTrane air cleaner and Honeywell black lights . I cant remember the furnance right now but no issues on anything. Great work and prices and never a problem with a referral.

Chicago Boy

I'm a Rheem guy and I live Crystal Lake
And it's true it's all about the installer
Goodman makes a great AC units and a good
Furnace but if your looking for 95%
With some staging and variable speed
You need to stay with the top 3 brands
Rheem Classic, Carrier Infinity ,or
Lennox Signature Series
Shop number 815-477-2600
Ask for Nick

Woodtic

The sad thing is,a lot of dried up used car salesmen get into hvac sales. I started doing chiller work right out of high school ,US Navy,6 years of your life,free training.LOL.The sad truth, there are more people in the residential HVAC sales,than casement window sales! Find a local guy that's been in business for 20 years. Any thing less,lots of references . If you need more help,just ask.

Chicago Boy

Your telling me!!!everyone's a heating guy
I took over for my Dad when he died. I love
Working with the old timers.I learned so much
From them. My dad once told me shut up and just
Pay attention, and that's just what I did but it doesn't take
20 year to figger this trade out I'm 34 and run
5 trucks and make a very good living at it
My wife and I take pride in our work and I'm still on
Every job every day

Woodtic

I didn't say that! It's quit obvious you take pride in your work. Or you wouldn't be so quick to defend your company. You know exactly what I'm talking about .The few company's that come in and low ball the bid,to get the job. 2 years later,they are no where to be found,and we are asked to fix it under warranty .

Chicago Boy

No! No! I'm sorry I came out that way
What I was saying was more in kinda backing what you said
We need more good guys in this trade
No one cares anymore I blame the dummy light
On the boards the new guys can't even use a meter
It's sad real sad

Woodtic

Fwi,I've been out of the residential market for over 10 years. The company I work for was started by Dr Carrier,in 1935.This company is still family owned. We did 35 mil last year, ya you herd me right,we are still family owned.

fcat700

I've been very happy with this Carrier set-up, very efficient and no problems in the first 4 years of service. It’s likely that I’ll put the same in our new home.

Attachments

• Furnace & Water Heater.jpg
    Furnace & Water Heater.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00149.jpg
    DSC00149.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Air Exchanger.jpg
    Air Exchanger.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 16

peter

I personally like Trane/ american stanard. As others said proper instalation and set up is key. There is alot of hacks out there who will under cut price. You get what you pay for. We are a family owned co in the chicago burbs feel free to give us a call with any questions. 877-724-8188 www.pure-comfort.com

Woodtic

Payne is a off brand of Carrier,it's a good bang for the buck. You can't go wrong with any Carrier or Trane product.

Woodtic

After doing a quick search of wholesalers in Chicago ,only one wholesaler,that we don't deal with,carry Ducane hvac equipment. The grills are everywhere.My suggestion to you,start picking up spare parts for that furnace .

polarisrider1

After doing a quick search of wholesalers in Chicago ,only one wholesaler,that we don't deal with,carry Ducane hvac equipment. The grills are everywhere.My suggestion to you,start picking up spare parts for that furnace .

The air conditioner (Ducane)was installed in 1987 and never a problem, still have it in use. the furnace was a 20 year old Bryant when exchanger split. It was new in 2007. both came from same dealer who carries both but did not recommend the Bryant air at new in 87. They worked like , "Peas and carrots".