I Didn't See that Coming!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
The title is self-explanatory after you read the following.

We just got back from some Summer Vacation in Northern Wisconsin. Mostly good times as vacation goes, always a few setbacks though. We stayed on Long Lake in Price County, just outside of Phillips. The first picture is our girl, Maggie, exploring the dock upon arrival.
Dock Dog 2024.jpg
Our place had a nice beach, boat launch, and raft and I about wore out my arm throwing the tennis ball for that dog. She loves the water as much as she loves retrieving. The next is one of the sunsets we witnessed, there's nothing better at the end of the day!
Sunset in Price Co. 2024.jpg
I think it was Monday, we headed over to Eagle River. The many years of snowmobiling, I'd never been to the track. I also had plans to visit the nearby museum. As soon as we pulled into the parking lot, I had that sinking feeling like Chevy Chase at Wally World. They were closed, maybe for the season as there's grass growing through the asphalt parking lot. Despite what their website says, THEY DON'T OPEN AT 10 a.m. So, we turned around, drove to Minocqua and had lunch at the Boat House.

By the way, does anyone know the story about that Old Barn between the track and museum? I'm a fan of the old ones, and THAT is an old one. It's in disrepair now but it must've been a beauty back in the day.

On our way back to the cabin, we took a side trip to one of the few Covered Bridges in Wisconsin. One of my favorite destinations with the Blizzard during the winter months. This is the Mrs. at the Smith Rapids covered bridge.
Summer Vaca 2024.jpg
All in all, not a bad day. What's that saying? "A bad day on vacation is still better than a good day at work" Yeah, I'll go with that.​

We're gonna flash forward to our last day at the cabin. For two people and one dog, we sure had a lot of gear, food, and some stuff that we didn't need or use. Add in a few purchases along the way and the truck bed was fully loaded. Once we were loaded, the mandatory head count; one wife, one dog, and me. Now here's the part where I didn't see it coming. As I'm backing out from the cabin, I HIT A DAMN TREE IN THE PARKING LOT! Now, I try not to cuss in front of the wife and dog but I let a few of my favorites fly for sure. Upon inspection, the truck didn't look that bad. The tree on the other hand has been hit before as the bark showed signs of former impacts. Did I say, the truck didn't look that bad? Well judge for yourself.
Damage.jpg What you're looking at there is north of 4,000 dollars to repair. Everything is tied together on this 2021 Ford. They have to replace the bumper, trailer hitch and repaint the entire quarter panel and replace the graphics. All because someone thought it'd be a good idea to have a tree in the parking lot! To add insult to injury, I didn't hit it that hard, more like a rolling stop. And why the heck didn't the proximity alarm go off? The darn thing is always triggered when I park in the garage but not when there's a 40 foot maple standing there.

One more thing. If you are in the north woods this holiday weekend, a couple of traffic slow-downs to watch for. 39/51 southbound, they're down to one lane from the Marathon County line to just north of Wausau. Another one lane only just north of Stevens Point. I imagine they'll be backed up for some ways by late on Monday. Drive safe, good luck, and watch out for them darn trees in the parking lot!

hermie

Your story reminds me of a snowmobile trip with my wife for our honeymoon. Went to a hotel off 28 in Marquette. Running a little behind on the way there so the wife calls and lets them know. The lady says your not here by 9 you will need to find a hotel. We argue back and forth a little. She tells me it gets dark up here and I let her know I have headlights and have driven in the dark many times. So we get there just before 9 luckily. Her husband meets me out in the parking lot. We had rented a house they have on lake Superior but they also have a small hotel. He tells me you can't ride your sleds from the house you will need to unload your trailer and leave it here. How convenient that is been nice to know before we paid for the house. So I pull forward and here a crunch noise. Okay time to back up i think I ran up on a snow bank. Nope not so much he had a tree he cut down in the lot just high enough for the bumper on my Avalanche to go over but just high enough backing up it rips off the whole front fascia. Okay then throw back on the truck the best I can pull forward a different direction he starts waving at me to stop I hit the brakes and as I do I hear clunk. What was that? It is his pipe for the heating oil he didn't bother to mark. It's pushed down a little so I try to straighten it and I end up with a broken piece of pipe in my hand. Finally got the trailer backed up unhooked. Took the truck to a body shop next morning and some $3000 dollars later I get the truck back. I will have to say blown away by the body shop. They were able to get me all GM parts and got it done in 3 days despite a full out blizzard that shut down 28 for 28 hours. Lucky for us the nice fellow let us use his Tundra to get back and forth from the house to the hotel so we could ride our sleds. There was a lot more exciting things that happened that week but this is already a long enough story.