Ice Break up?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
It's not frozen solid. More like 35-40% covered. Strong winds will help to break it up and melt it, but the bitter cold will also cause freezing, so I guess we will have to wait and see what the net result is.

-John

whitedust

Thanks & hoping it breaks up... LES has been our fresh snow supply in Vilas.The clippers have been very weak & hookers not coming this way so not much to tap into for snow without LES.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Not a big impact, but still some. Plus one or two very cold nights with no wind and things change in a hurry. :(

So pray for lots of wind!

-John

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Stannard Rock (out in the big lake about 50 miles north of Marquette) has sustained winds of 50 mph, gusting to 61. It will be interesting to see what happens. No doubt that what was floating will be piled up on the south shore, but hopefully a lot of it got broken up and melted as it drifted south.

-John

pinestump

Looks like over your way it is all slushed/frozen over and open north of Munising/GM but closing in fast.....
John think the lake is going to freeze all the way??

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Hard to tell for sure, but it sure is getting close. I think by the end of this week, the only hold out could be the doughnut hold just north of Munising/GM and even that has a chance to freeze up.

-John

attack_06

How could so much of it be froze when it's Ben so mild this winter compared to last we haven't had no where near the cold as this time last year

jd

Administrator
Staff member
How could so much of it be froze when it's Ben so mild this winter compared to last we haven't had no where near the cold as this time last year

A number of factors:
Ice on the lake until June last year.
Cool summer.
Very cold November and bouts of intense cold Dec, Jan and Feb.
Global Warming (just kidding :eek:)

-John

whitedust

Hate to see a Spring like last year....fishing opener delayed by 1-2 weeks ice on northern WI lakes...didn't put my boat in til 4th of July with cold summer. Weeds never really grew in lakes just folded in late August not sure if or when fish spawned... Lots of useless snow in April WI trails close March 31. No fun...

Hate to see a Spring like last year....fishing opener delayed by 1-2 weeks ice on northern WI lakes...didn't put my boat in til 4th of July with cold summer. Weeds never really grew in lakes just folded in late August not sure if or when fish spawned... Lots of useless snow in April WI trails close March 31. No fun...

My bird bath had a skim layer of ice on it one morning out here in Oregon this past 'winter'. Local public works dept. had full layer of ice melt slurry put on all major roads that day. I need to figure out how to bring this weather back to WI when I move back, not looking forward to the extremes.

HH

HH

whitedust

My bird bath had a skim layer of ice on it one morning out here in Oregon this past 'winter'. Local public works dept. had full layer of ice melt slurry put on all major roads that day. I need to figure out how to bring this weather back to WI when I move back, not looking forward to the extremes.

HH

HH

I have no problem with the last 2 WI winters in Vilas but when Spring & Summer come around it would be nice to have the seasons. Fall was great too lots of color difficult to not like Fall in the Wi northwoods.:)