Ice on lake superior

sp123

how much does the ice on lake superior will it take not affect the lake effect snow. if temps stay this cold how they are teen's and lows in the single digits wont they freeze up a lot of lake superior. rather quickly. or can lake effect snow form with thin layers of ice. i no the ice usually build up from the shore outwards so say if there is ice 3-4 miles out will lake effect snow still be the same. i no lakes like lac la belle have thin layer of ice all the way across already and it only begging of december.

sp123

sorry typing that last question my computer was freezing up and typed it fast but hope you can make out what i was trying to ask

A

admin

Once ice covers the water the water cannot provide the heat and moisture that causes lake effect snow to occur. It does not matter the thickness of the ice. 1/4" is enough to shut down LES.

The colder the temps are, the better the chances that portions of Lake Superior will freeze. However, the autumn was warm, so the lake as a whole is probably about where it should be for this time of the year. No telling what the next month or two will bring, but if it were to remain colder than average, then ice would likely form quicker on Lake Superior and inhibit the formation of LES.

Ice along the shoreline a few miles out does not impact LES formation to a noticeable degree.

-John