Indy 500 too much oil??

sean34590577

Hey guys just have a question. First ride of year, just had gas tank replaced and had more than normal oil coming out from the engine going into the y-pipe?? Dripping and I could smell it.Didn't seem to notice before?? Is this normal?? Sign of something to come??

ridindirty800

If it is coming out from where the Y pipe connects with the motor it could be the gaskets are shot on where the Y pipe and motor meet! just a thought

big_bill

How old and how many miles on your machine? When the oil pumps go on Polaris they're designed to dump lots of oil, to prevent blowing up motor. Happened to me, just my 2 cents.

sean34590577

thanks for the ideas

I tried to tighten the bolts,they seemed fine. Has some miles on it. I'll monitor the oil consumption first take and see what happens. Thanks again for the ideas. I'll also see if the gaskets are shot. Sean

snow_monkey

Is the oil black and dirty ? A little bit could be ok just a small leak in your doughnut. Check your exhaust springs and make sure it is a tight fit at the manifold. I would think you would smell a huge oil leak and probably would smoke like a late summer barbque.

tyeeman

Check your cable adjustment on your oil pump make sure you're not pumping too much oil. Check your plug heat range. If you start your sled a bunch of times and idle it without riding it to "clear"the engine you will probably get some of that wet oil, but once you ride the sled the engine and exhaust should warm up enough to burn that out. If it doesn't go away after the sled is driven aways I would suspect a heavy oil mixture or some other problem.