Insurance

arctic

Hey all,

Looking at purchasing a new machine and was always curious about insurance. Is it required legally for snowmobiles? Also, what does it cover? I'd be worried in case there ever was an accident about bodily injury, etc. Could you all help shed some light on this? Specifically, I will be riding in the state of Wisconsin.

zimmbob

It is not required in MN, I don't know about WI. You can get similar insurance to a car. Comprehensive which will cover your sled damage, Liability which covers damage to others and property. You can get some other types of coverage too, and all levels. There are a couple of main companies (Foremost, Progressive), but some others do insure sleds as well. Check with your auto policy company and your home. Sometimes homeowner insurance can cover sleds too. Otherwise, I just bought some from Met Life, and I know that State Farm has it too.

Good luck. At a minimum, you should carry liability. Comp is up to you if you feel like your sled is worth enough to have it covered.

polarisrider1

Not required in Michigan unless you have a lien on it. (loan). I put full coverage on my sleds in the winter. Nothing makes me madder than someone taking a liking to my sled and stealing it. Or a drunk joker running into it. I roll the dice in the summer with no Insurance of any kind. Parked in a very highly secured location. need a fork lift, climbing skills and a gun to get to. Oh and a nice treat to bribe the dogs.

jpsted

Same types of coverages as your vehicle, comp, collision, liability, med payments, uninsured and underinsured.

Although not required by state law, you'd be silly not to carry it. Very minimal cost per year. Liability and uninsured/undersinsured coverages should be carried at a minimum.

I use American Family in Wisconsin and they are reasonable. My two newer sleds cost me less than $200 per year for all coverages. I just put liability and uninsured/underinsured on an older 2001 Yamaha Venture last week. The cost for that coverage for one year was only $42.

You can't afford not to buy coverage and protect yourself.