Iron Co. or UP

docs_88

Well, stuck between a rock and a hard place here. The ONLY time we can make it up the rest of the season is Feb 18-22. Looking at the forecast I would pull the plug on the whole trip but I have a new/used sled waiting for me at Cloverland that I need to pick up. So, my question is do the Iron County and surrounding area trails have enough snow on them now to hold up to the warm weather coming in on Friday or are we going to be better off trailering from Island Lake up to Gogebic or somewhere near there? Or, are we going to be stuck racing barstools for 4 days? The timing of this warm up couldn't be worse!

trdehmer

Same question......either would head to MN North Shore, MN Arrowhead Region, or somewhere in the U.P. Looking for the "best" option in what is typically a busy weekend....and knowing its going to be real warm out.

frnash

Go north!! ...
This man speaks the truth …
Yes, "Go West, [er… North], young man!", as Horace Greeley ...
0520b.jpg
(Photo courtesy of Pasty Cam.)
... said. He too was referring to the Keweenaw!
In the 1850's when New York newspaper editor Horace Greeley made popular the phrase "Go West, young man, and grow up with the country," (although it is uncertain whether it originated with him) he was referring to the Copper Boom in the Keweenaw Peninsula. He recognized early on that the mineral-rich land would become a center of commerce, employment, and opportunity for tens of thousands of settlers to this remote region.
(Betcha din't know dat!)

stayed up on the Gunflint Trail this past weekend and they have plenty of snow there also. if going to the UP, i would drop further north than Bergland.