Ironwood to Bergland snow conditions

cpaum

Hey guys.

Anyone riding ironwood to Bergland area. Would like to hear how the trails are. Going to head up this week and do a milage run of 4-450 one day. I got some good fees back north of their but would like to hear any updates since warm weather hit.

Ride safe and enjoy. Great to have a bunch of nice guys on here. Thanks for feed back

sr22ger

Honestly, the we rode from Iron River to Hurley via Bruce Crossing and the only area that was bad was Bergland to just outside of Ironwood. I guess now that I think of it 150 wasn't stellar either, especially considering the amount of snow they had from trail 2 north. We stepped off the trail at the 13/8 intersection on the top side of Gogebic and it was to the top of my thighs deep on Friday, so should have held up through the warm spell.

The reroute of 2 by Wakefield is a disaster, I really hope they can figure that out for next year. It was rough going in on Friday, it was horrendous going out on Saturday. I can only imagine what another day of warm conditions and heavy traffic would have done. Once you got to the trail 2/8 intersection past Bessemer trail 2 was pretty nice through to Marinesco, while it got rough again around Watersmeet and thin towards Iron River (Saturday 1/30).

South of Hurley in WI was pretty nice in most areas on Friday, but who knows what the weather did to the trails. Trail 6 to Saxon was great, and some other stuff around Island Lake and to the west and north was pretty good. We heard from a number of people to avoid Mercer, all who rode from the south up to Hurley, so we never went that far south. Most of the areas should have held up fine though. Of course only if you wanted to venture into WI... not sure of the trail passes and such if you were from out of state.

upbarleyboy

Rode Thurs-Sat and based out of Hurley area. As mentioned above, we heard horror stories on the reroute from Bessemer to Wakefield and again from Wakefield to Bergland so rode Wisconsin all three days. Wasn't about to pay for a trail pass just to pound the body. Thursday was by far the best day. West over to Glidden & Butternut, than across the Flambeau Flowage towards Mercer. Crossed on FF than headed back north from there so never made it right into Mercer. Trails were great the whole day with very little traffic (even the grade was smooth and fast).

Friday we looped out to Saxon than over to Upson, Island Lake, and Pine Lake area. Conditions still very good, but by mid-afternoon the traffic was getting thick. Held up well through the evening though. Saturday warm temps in the 40s and a crazy amounts of sleds took their toll. By early afternoon, trails were pretty well shot. Bare roads, and anything with southern exposure was down to dirt. Couldn't believe how fast things deteriorated. Overall a very good weekend considering the number of sleds around.

Won't take much snow to get them back in shape.

Last edited: