Is it just me or are Michiganders getting screwed on trail funding?

Snojoe

So I recently downloaded a trail app from Polaris on my phone. Great app so far, strongly suggest that you check it out. Anyways while messing around with the app it allows me to zoom out and see trails not only in Michigan but Canada, Wisconsin, Minnesota ect. I had no idea how much bigger trail systems where in other states and canada then in Michigan. It kinda bummed me out and I don't understand why. So I did a little research to see why Michigan's trail system is lacking compared to other places. Especially in the lower peninsula. My first thought was well maybe other states have more snowmobiles then Michigan? After looking on the ACSA website (www.snowmobiler.org) I found Michigan not only does Michigan have a large number of registered snowmobiles but it had the most in the country at roughly 300,000. I do realize that not every registered snowmobile buys a trail permit. After seeing this I started to dig a little deeper. I wanted to have more sources then just the ACSA website. I ended up on the DNR website www.michigan.org. I found some published numbers on the 2010-2011 snowmobile trail permits and the numbers are not adding up. Maybe I am doing my math wrong but there is some money missing if you ask me. It's a shame that we are paying and volunteering for an A class trail system and only getting marginal results. I will put the numbers below and maybe some one can help me understand.
164,003 trail permits sold
$5,543,118 dollars received.

My math 164,003 x 43.50($45 less $.50 admin fee and $1.00 dealer fee) = $7,134,130.50

$7134130.50 - $5543118= $1,591,012.50 (what happen to this money?) image.jpg image.jpg

anonomoose

Oh...oh....(hand in the air) I know this one!

If you take and add back in the $1.50 of those funds per the number of stickers sold and get a grand total of funds received, and
then divide by the number of stickers sold the total per sled is around $35 per sled which was the price of a trail sticker
back in the day.

Do I get a prize.....teach?

russholio

I'm curious to know what you mean by "marginal results"? Personally, I think Michigan does a heckuva job with their trails, considering the amount of traffic they get -- which is not only from state residents, but out-of-staters, too.

IMHO, they've improved drastically since the days when I first started riding (mid-90's).

Hoosier

I always thought the UP did a good job in maintaining its trails, especially compared to the traffic. I've only ridden the lower peninsula a couple times though, and I don't think I'd make that a destination (I'd only ride there if I lived there). Northwest Wisconsin has a phenomenal trail system, but they don't always have the snow the UP has, nor the traffic.

I do know some of Michigan's trail permit funding is supposed to go to buy permanent easements, which I think should be the absolute top priority right now for the long-term.

polarisrider1

Snojoe, call MSA and they will explain it to you in great detail. While on the phone I recommend you signing up as a life member. Even if you join as an annual member they send you all the info in great detail were every penny goes. If you are wondering about trails look to the west of you over by Irons. west of Cadillac, north of Baldwin south of Wellston. No shortage of trails here. We also have connector trails that take you as far south as Grand Rapids. Check out the Pellston/Alanson/Harbor Springs area. Check out the traverse City and south east of there including Kalkaska. Indian River south or west. Use the zoom feature. We have no shortage of trails. Look at Allegan/Niles, a place that is so far south in the state and they got trails. Gaylord/Grayling. And this is just all in the lower. UP has Newberry, trout lake, Cedarville, Rexford, Drummond Island, the entire Soo area, Paradise, Seney, Grand Marias, Munising, Hulbert, Autrain,etc. etc. all within a short ride from Higgins lake. All good riding. When I got into this sport we rode corn fields and groomers and trails were just a dream. Join a club and get involved and you will be so amazed at how well the money is spent.

dawolf

I think he's talking about the number of trails not the quality.

If you check out that app he's discussing, when you click on Wisconsin, the state is literally covered with trails.

Lower Michigan, not nearly as many trails show up on the app map. The UP has more trails, but still not the density of Wisconsin on the Polaris app.

All the trails don't show up on that app either, but as a guy who chases snow all winter all over the place I can say there are definitely a lot more trails in Wisconsin than Michigan. However I ride lower Michigan a lot more than Wisconsin, because Michigan seems to be blessed with more snow (thanks lake effect).

You need active clubs to build and maintain trails. Fewer clubs fewer trails I imagine.

polarisrider1

I always thought the UP did a good job in maintaining its trails, especially compared to the traffic. I've only ridden the lower peninsula a couple times though, and I don't think I'd make that a destination (I'd only ride there if I lived there). Northwest Wisconsin has a phenomenal trail system, but they don't always have the snow the UP has, nor the traffic.

I do know some of Michigan's trail permit funding is supposed to go to buy permanent easements, which I think should be the absolute top priority right now for the long-term.
Trail easements is huge in Michigan. Goal is to buy all trail easement rights, that way next year there will not be a housing development sitting in the middle of the trail. Big issue in mid to lower Michigan. Trail grooming equipment and the cost to run it is insane. Some areas such as Grand Marais and Munising those groomers never stop. The cost of bridges, ya the hundreds we cross and don't even know are there (signs removed). sure beats repositioning skids in the creek after each guy crosses as back in the "Good ole' Days".

- - - Updated - - -

I think he's talking about the number of trails not the quality.

If you check out that app he's discussing, when you click on Wisconsin, the state is literally covered with trails.

Lower Michigan, not nearly as many trails show up on the app map. The UP has more trails, but still not the density of Wisconsin on the Polaris app.

All the trails don't show up on that app either, but as a guy who chases snow all winter all over the place I can say there are definitely a lot more trails in Wisconsin than Michigan. However I ride lower Michigan a lot more than Wisconsin, because Michigan seems to be blessed with more snow (thanks lake effect).

You need active clubs to build and maintain trails. Fewer clubs fewer trails I imagine.

I think we are more gearing towards quality then quantity. If we wanted quantity the fire lanes,seasonals, two tracks, impassibles could be added into the mix and our maps would be insanely full of trails. Keep in mind the lower offers tons of great riding days. but we have a lot more homes and private land to get around.

russholio

I think we are more gearing towards quality then quantity. If we wanted quantity the fire lanes,seasonals, two tracks, impassibles could be added into the mix and our maps would be insanely full of trails. Keep in mind the lower offers tons of great riding days. but we have a lot more homes and private land to get around.

I agree. And I would say that more isn't necessarily better -- the more there are, the more grooming operations are spread out and the less grooming each trail would see. And of course, the less money there would be available for each trail.

I also agree that there is definitely great riding in the lower, but unfortunately most of the lower does not get near the snow the UP usually does, so in marginal snow years it can be hit or miss. Still, considering the traffic and sometimes low snow conditions, I think most of the clubs in the LP do a great job with grooming (as do those in the UP).

dawolf

I'm not getting into who is better than who, I love Michigan and Wisconsin (I'm from Illinois, I know I know, a good place to be FROM).

Both do a great job with what they have.

I will say I've never been lost in Michigan. Great signage.

russholio

If I came across as playing "who's better than who", or as being critical of the OP, my apologies. I did not mean to and it was not the intent of my posts.

renegade

I think the intent in this thread is why is there a money discrepancy, not if it was well spent or not. The original post points out some obvious math problems.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I think the intent in this thread is why is there a money discrepancy, not if it was well spent or not. The original post points out some obvious math problems.

I think the math problems were derived from using the $45 trail permit fee. In the 2010-2011 season, they were $35.

I believe that is what anonomoose was trying to say, but was a tad bit confusing.

-John