Is this illegal

Don't know if it's illegal being it wasn't used, but, I think the number on the sticker is tied to your drivers license, so maybe
the seller could receive unintended problems,buyer probably not so much.

sweeperguy

I would think it IS illegal. Pretty sure they are non Transferable. Since they take your ID when you buy it, and sell you the dnr sportscard, it would be linked to. pretty sure you are the only person authorized to display it.

garyl62

it's never too cold out.

I bet the cheap A$$ went to the u.p. and kept it in his pocket, I have put stickers on my sled when it was -24 F.

I always thought this too, and I've always put them on. Last weekend a couple guys I know bought stickers at the gas station and it said right on them "Do not apply under 0 degrees". I'm not 100% sure of the 0 temp, it may have even been 15 degrees, but regardless it was a lot colder than the temp on the sticker said not to apply it below. They rode with them in their pockets too. Figured if they got stopped they'd point to the directions on the stickers for why they didn't put them on.

- - - Updated - - -

I just went back to the CL listing and looked at the photo again. It says on the sticker "permit may be applied at 10 degrees or warmer"

bayfly

I purchased stickers this past New Year's Eve and it was definitely too cold to apply them. I tried to stick them on the windshields and the cold wind just blew them off. Got out of the wind and tried again but they just slid right off again. Had to ride with them in my pocket that day. It warmed up a bit the next day and applied them no problem. Purchased them at the BP in Calumet. Based on these results I believe it CAN be too cold to apply trail stickers.

polarisrider1

I always thought this too, and I've always put them on. Last weekend a couple guys I know bought stickers at the gas station and it said right on them "Do not apply under 0 degrees". I'm not 100% sure of the 0 temp, it may have even been 15 degrees, but regardless it was a lot colder than the temp on the sticker said not to apply it below. They rode with them in their pockets too. Figured if they got stopped they'd point to the directions on the stickers for why they didn't put them on.

- - - Updated - - -

I just went back to the CL listing and looked at the photo again. It says on the sticker "permit may be applied at 10 degrees or warmer"

That's a big "whatever". motel hairdrier, palm of hand for 30 seconds, all kinds of ways to get to stick. The point of this thread is the "used" permit is for sale. That is illegal. Think of it this way, can you sell the one that is stuck to your windshield?

mezz

Keep in mind, the permits purchased at other retail outlets are not the same as those printed by the State of Michigan. The permits purchased from the retail outlets are actually printed on site & do have a different material which does not stick as well as the State printed permit. The State printed permits will stick on up to (or down to -20?) & will show as being VOID if & when removed from the sled unlike the retail purchased versions which will merely peel off rather easily & will not VOID out. One reason I get the State printed version is some of the others have been easily stolen from other sleds & no way to detect it having been removed & replaced. The other reason is kind of vain, but, the retail versions are much larger & look fugly. :cool: No, they are not transferrable as they are registered to the purchaser & secured with a drivers license number & home address.-Mezz

Last edited:
G

G

If trail passes keep increasing this will get to be more of a problem. One more reason for the DNR to pull you over and make sure the trail pass matches the sled. Make something idiot proof and they just invent a new and improved idiot.

jccams

Keep in mind, the permits purchased at other retail outlets are not the same as those printed by the State of Michigan. The permits purchased from the retail outlets are actually printed on site & do have a different material which does not stick as well as the State printed permit. The State printed permits will stick on up to (or down to -20?) & will show as being VOID if & when removed from the sled unlike the retail purchased versions which will merely peel off rather easily & will not VOID out. One reason I get the State printed version is some of the others have been easily stolen from other sleds & no way to detect it having been removed & replaced. The other reason is kind of vain, but, the retail versions are much larger & look fugly. :cool: No, they are not transferrable as they are registered to the purchaser & secured with a drivers license number & home address.-Mezz
Bought mine from a Poo dealer this year and was never asked for ID of any kind. Paid my 45 bucks and walked out.

BTW...not saying it is legal or illegal to sell an unused trail permit but I can't find anything on the SoS or MI DNR websites saying it is or isn't. Does anyone know where this is spelled out?

Last edited:
G

G

We have had it both ways. Sometimes you just send a guy in to buy 6 trail passes and no documentation whatsoever. Other times they want driver's licenses and sled registration and serial numbers. Makes no sense to me. This is in Wisc.

Woodtic

For sale : 4 slightly used MI trail permits. These are adult owned and all UP miles,very good condition. One comes with parts of a A/C windshield still attached. Can't ship until after April 15, I need to make 1 more trip! I would consider a paschal trade, 6 pack of PBR ect.

garyl62

For sale : 4 slightly used MI trail permits. These are adult owned and all UP miles,very good condition. One comes with parts of a A/C windshield still attached. Can't ship until after April 15, I need to make 1 more trip! I would consider a paschal trade, 6 pack of PBR ect.

I may be interested, but will only need 1, will you split them? I'd be interested in the one with the A/C windshield as it may match what I have. Maybe we could meet someplace, I'll be traveling from IL to Houghton on 3/21 and could arrange for a pick up somewhere along the way if you'd consider selling before April 15. Would you take two drafts instead of a whole 6 pack since I don't want them all?