ISO…2002 Polaris 120 ignition coil

dognvenus

I have a 2002 Polaris 120 with the Fuji engine in need of a coil.
I am unable to turn off the sled with the key switch or with the tether and pulling the plug wire is the only way to shut it off .
After checking everything I can think of, it has to be the coil.
I refuse to pay $250 for an OEM part.
Does anyone have a good source for Fuji
engine parts besides Polaris?
OEM part# 3090312

Thanks in advance for your help!

ddhanna

I have a 2002 Polaris 120 with the Fuji engine in need of a coil.
I am unable to turn off the sled with the key switch or with the tether and pulling the plug wire is the only way to shut it off .
After checking everything I can think of, it has to be the coil.
I refuse to pay $250 for an OEM part.
Does anyone have a good source for Fuji
engine parts besides Polaris?
OEM part# 3090312

Thanks in advance for your help!
I don't see how a faulty coil could cause those symptoms.

dognvenus

I don't see how a faulty coil could cause those symptoms.
I don’t know either other that it is the ignition control completing the circuit for it to run and stop. I have checked all the grounds and continuity and it’s my last guess….
It going to a new owner next week, a 9 yr old and I want it to function properly.

euphoric1

did you try disconnecting the ground from coil and running an auxiliary to ground to see if you lose ignition? or running continuity test from ground wire at coil forward? I have had ignition coils that will not complete ground on kill circuit but not very common, usually a problem beyond the coil. $250 for a 120 ign coil??? YIKES

ddhanna

I don’t know either other that it is the ignition control completing the circuit for it to run and stop. I have checked all the grounds and continuity and it’s my last guess….
It going to a new owner next week, a 9 yr old and I want it to function properly.
There is no "ignition control" other than the kill switch and the ignition (key) switch, assuming that sled has both. Either one of the switches is permanently open, or open ground, or open wire in the circuit.

ddhanna

The key switch, thether or kill switch on the handle bar will not stop the engine.
Only pulling the plug wire will stop it… gloves suggested…
Are you sure the switches are plugged in? They need to provide a ground to stop the engine. The easiest way to steal a snowmobile is unplug the ignition switch. Then it will run all the time, like yours.

Last edited:

garageguy

Problem is in kill switch or wiring, coil is fine. Switch or kill button not providing a path to ground to kill spark.

kraven700

Thank you all for your replies….
I will go back and retrace everything again… for the umptenth time.
From memory

Look at the back side of the engine
Mag side

There should be a single black wire that’s suppose to connect to the wire harness

1- check to see it became disconnected

2- with the engine running, when you touch that wire from the engine to a ground, it kills the engine

Hope this helps

dognvenus

From memory

Look at the back side of the engine
Mag side

There should be a single black wire that’s suppose to connect to the wire harness

1- check to see it became disconnected

2- with the engine running, when you touch that wire from the engine to a ground, it kills the engine

Hope this helps
Ok thanks for the tip, I’ll let you know if it works.