It's All About the Bears

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the absence of MrBB and with Spring fast approaching, I found this page from the National Parks Service regarding Bear Encounters. Bears will be coming out of hibernation soon and that'll be followed by Baby Bears. Lesson #1 Never get between Moma Bear and her Cubs.

Since many of us are campers, hikers, and outdoor people, meeting up with a bear is a real possibility. Click on the link to learn more about bears and ways to keep your family safe.

eyeman

Spring scouting and turkey hunters in the Midwest will run into Black bears and/or game. The most vicious animal I've run into was a Badger on a deer trail at 5 yards. Both of us won the encounter. When you see a critter simply stop/freeze and learn. Did he/she see me? Male or female? Where is/are the cub(s)?

If a female has seen me, by default I've seen her cub. "Back up or run on a charge." Mom simply wants you gone as you are a predator toward her cubs.
If a female hasn't seen me. "Freeze" (animals see movement) when she moves behind cover back pedal silently away from cub and her, until she can see me again then freeze and repeat.

Male or female means I haven't seen cubs. If the critter hasn't seen me, I'll back away slowly like above. If it's seen me, I'll back away slowing unless a charge, then run, put a tree between me and the critter as it gets close. The distance closes fast. Human 10 mph. Bear 35 mph.