It’s now the BIG 18!

pclark

It hasn’t been the Big 10 for quite some time but now it’s the Big 18. UCLA, USC, Oregon, and Washington joined the conference this year.

IOWASLEDDER

It's all about the almighty dollar anymore. Being a Hawkeye fan, more teams just adds to our disappointment LOL!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots of travel time. Football will be a challenge, I can't imagine Basketball with multiple games in a week.

Hoosier

I was telling my teenager, who is a huge basketball fan, of what the big ten used to be - 10 teams, everyone plays each other twice, home and away, and how it was must see tv. But I realized I started to sound like an old man. College sports, at least at the D1 level for bball and football, are pro sports now. Football is where the real money is. I suppose it was inevitable with the $ involved these days, but I miss college sports. Next step is to cut off the charade of the top athletes earning degrees.

pclark

I don’t know, I think this NIL is going to ruin college sports as we know it today. Apparently some of the big college football powerhouses have some pretty big payroll issues. I think these institutions are out of control, you have borrow so much to attend, they allow the libs to infect the minds of our kids, foreign people are allowed to take over the campuses, the so called high paid professors hardly ever teach a class. It’s part of the downfall of America as we see it today.

IOWASLEDDER

I agree NIL could ruin college athletics. I'm all for the athletes making money. No issues there. What I think needs to happen with it is that there needs to be a cap on it. And that cap applies to ALL NCAA schools in Division 1. These big schools that seem to have an open pocket book have way too big of an advantage to woo these athletes to their campus. And I also believe there should be 1 transfer portal window as well in a year.

elf

I was reading that Ohio State's football team is costing them 20 million dollars in NIL money and there are 11 players on that team making over a million dollars each. The Big 10 is soon going to be about the Big 6 and the other 12 teams will be irrelevant soon because they can't compete either talent wise or payroll wise. And then as soon as they get somebody that really shines they'll transfer for more money. AJ Storr, who played for UW last year in B-Ball, starting taking offers in Feb for the next year, Tough to remain focused on the remainder of the current season when you've already checked out for the next season.

ddhanna

Trace the the money and it all comes back to the consumer. It will continue until we refuse to pay / watch. I did just that with major league baseball many years ago and I don't miss it.

jedoyle

I must be "old school" because I still think getting a $150K education for free (i.e. scholarship) is indirectly getting paid. I didn't like NIL when people were talking about the concept years ago. I really don't like the way it has turned out thus far. And I really hate how players can enter the transfer portal multiple times in their career. Now that the genie is out of the bottle there is no turning back so I guess they just need to tweek it to make it better at this point.

pclark

Trace the the money and it all comes back to the consumer. It will continue until we refuse to pay / watch. I did just that with major league baseball many years ago and I don't miss it.
Same, I’m not paying to watch these overpriced athletes. Haven’t watched a Brewers game in like 3 years, only watch free football games. I don’t miss it.