Jet Trails

Hi John,
This maybe a off topic question but, here it goes.
Was flying back from down south and we were flying at 39000 ft, looking down you could see countless clouds formed by jet planes. I mean when we would get close to Atlanta, Chicago it was way worst. Like they formed a cloud system them self.
Does this affect temp? Some people on the plane said it doesn't affect that much to do anything weather related.
I thought I would ask the pro.
Thanks
Howie

jd

Administrator
Staff member
There really is not a lot of research on the topic, so no strong influences are known, but interestingly enough, in the days following 9-11, with all flights were grounded, they did notice that the daytime temps were warmer and nighttime temps were cooler. So the condensation trails (contrails) seem to mimic the effects of naturally occurring clouds.

As for seeding, most attempts at seeding clouds to cause precipitation (even those done directly for seeding purposes) have not proven to be very productive. At times, the ice crystals from a contrail will fall through a layer of cirrus clouds and will dissipate the cloud in that area. I was sent a picture of a cirrostratus cloud over the Keweenaw that had a straight line cut through it which was clear. It was caused by that exact process. The contrail drifted down, into the cirrostratus cloud, causing the vapor/ice in the cirrostratus cloud to condense onto the contrails ice crystals and all fell out and then evaporated as they fell further towards earth.

-John

frnash

I "seed" some clouds once — during Airyzony's monsoon season.

As Julius Caesar said:
"I came, I 'seed', I conquered."[SUP]1[/SUP]
… or as so many of the grammarians on this forum would say :devilish::
"I came, I 'seen', I conquered."[SUP]1[/SUP]

[SUP]1[/SUP] Never mind the comma splice. (From Wickedypedia):
The English phrase "I came, I saw, I conquered" employs what is known as a comma splice. Grammarians generally agree that using a comma to join two independent clauses should be done sparingly. Sometimes, the comma splice is avoided by using a semicolon instead: "I came; I saw; I conquered".