Jetting

bumperboy

I have a 2006 mxzx 800, shaved head, cudney clutch kit, otherwise completly stock. The sled has always had a stutter out of the hole since new, and backfires when you shut it off. It just does not run like other 800's that I have had.Has anyone done some jetting on these to make them run right ?

bouncer

It's running rich on the intermediate side. I would leave the main jet alone right now. All engines run different and need to be tuned. If you do not know how to change jets and read the spark plug color after words I would have a professional do your jetting or you could melt a piston and wish you had the shutter back. Good luck.

bumperboy

jetting

The plugs are a little dark after running WOT, but I like them that way, to keep from burnning down on top end. I am thinking needle position or pilot, just wondering if someone has had same issues.

bouncer

Yep, you know what your doing.
A little rich on the big end is ok.
Raise the needle clip and run it.
Stay away from wot when testing.
Pilot screw adjustment will make little difference.
Pilot jet downsize will make a big difference in the midrange.
Good luck

bouncer

Try a .010" shim under the needle. They ran lean in the midrange.

How would making it richer stop the problem he is having?

1. Stutters during takeoff.
2. Backfires after he shuts it off.

Both combined indicate a rich condition in the intermediate range unless he's
pulling up to wherever he is stopping, at wide open throttle and immediately turns it off!
Excess unburnt fuel is igniting in the pipe after shutdown. This is why it backfires.
A Lean condition could make it stumble but it would not be backfiring after shutdown and
the pipe would most likely be glowing red.

bumperboy

Went up 2 sizes on the pilot, raised the needle .030, and went down on the main 1 size. Runs pretty good, no more backfire when I shut down, and ceared up the stutter for the most part. Uses alot more gas now, am going back down one size on the pilots, and would like to get a different needle to try and clear up what is left of the stutter. Any help on the needle size would be great.