John Deere with tracks

jr37

Hi John,
At the trail signing in October you were telling me that there was going to be a new John Deere with the Soucy tracks grooming up there this year. How did that go, any problems, get stuck, good floatation? Any info. on the tractor and/or tracks?

Thanks,
Jon

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I did not hear any rave reviews from the groomers, but also did not hear any major problems, so I kind of take that as it was OK, but not a dream machine. The big reason why we got the JD was that it can have a brush hog implement attached to it and in the event the DNR allows us to use the machine in the pre-season for brush work, then we could pick up the implement and put it to use. It has already been determined that our next groomer (when ever that happens) will be a Piston Bully. They really are a purpose-built machine and can really hold up to the day to day rigors of grooming snow.

-John

jr37

Thanks John.

Our club is in the "thinking" stage of new groomers. It's still a few years out, but just exploring options now. Have heard alot good about the Soucy tracks, but have not tried them yet. Demoed a Kubota with tracks one day this year, but I don't think their track system is proven yet.

groomerdriver

I can say that both a Soucy track unit and a Trail Bulley (Pisten Bulley) are good machines but there are significant differences between the units. I belong to two area clubs that have these machines.

37 - I used to live and groom in the Weston and are familiar with your terrain.

600xc

We have used a John Deere with the Soucy track system for 3 season now. This past season we had a bearing go out in one of the rear tracks, other than that it has been a good reliable unit and goes through the deep snow amazingly well. Have had it stuck a few times in some pretty wet areas which were numerous this past year. Overall it is a very comfortable unit to operate and we are happy with its performance.