JohnDee.com Facebook page...

stormfan

How many people would love to have John start a FB page for his Forecast Text and Forecast Graphics? :) (just a thought)

Merry Christmas everyone!! :)

snocrazy

Facebook is evil.

I know so many people who have their lives ruined by Facebook.
I watch my coworkers checking it non stop. It becomes an addiction for a lot of people. Kind of like this forum has been for me. ;) I have been in vacation mode at the house waiting for snow. To much time on my hands.

John if you decide to do this, please dont exclusively post info on your FB site. Also post it on this site.

mvedepo

DEFINITELY don't want a FB page to trump the site. Just supplement it. I suggest John making a group. Then we could do live chats. I am in Midwest Sledders on FB and www.midwestsledders.com and its a lot of fun. Plus it's neat to put a face with a screenname.

stormfan

mvedepo: agree completely!! thank you for clarifying my post!! love this site!! check it more then anything else during the snow season...just can't get enough of our wonderful johndee.com family!!

Merry Christmas everyone!!

~Vicki Sanden

timo

Amen to this post! If i wanna know what my friend Rick had for dinner or when his last bowel movement was I'll call him.

Facebook is evil.

I know so many people who have their lives ruined by Facebook.
I watch my coworkers checking it non stop. It becomes an addiction for a lot of people. Kind of like this forum has been for me. ;) I have been in vacation mode at the house waiting for snow. To much time on my hands.

John if you decide to do this, please dont exclusively post info on your FB site. Also post it on this site.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I guess the first thing folks need to realize is that while the site is my passion, it is also a second job. I spend a minimum of 3-4 hours a day working on it and some days as much as 8 hours. So to justify the time I spend on it and take away from my other paying business, I need to have the website generate income. To do that, you have the advertising on the site. The amount of ad revenue is determined largely by the number of visitors to the site. So putting things like the forecasts on Facebook, would draw visitors away from the site and to FB, thus it would be like me giving FB money for free. Last I checked, they seem to have no shortage of money over there.

Plus, I don't really understand what the advantage to having any of the site content on FB would be anyway. It is just as easy to type in johndee.com than it is faceboook.com

All the info is right here, well laid out and easy to view.

So I guess there are no plans to put any of the site content on FB. You will all just have to keep coming here for all the content. Hope everyone understands.

-John

Cat Woman

COMPLETELY understand John. Couldn't you do more of a "Company" style page that people can "Like"? No need for daily updates just a page for us JD'rs to be proud of that highlights your web page. I could see it being great advertising for your site without replacing it. Just a thought.

CatsOnly

John, long time visitor, not a frequent poster. But I believe a good idea would be to have your forecast graphic/text pages have a facebook share option on it that we would be able to post on our facebook walls. I know if i saw one of your forecast with alot of yellow in it i would post it on my page. I have plenty of friends that would enjoy looking at a prediction of heavy snowfall around the mid west. And it would be even more advertisment for the site, and it would be free. Unless of course you have to pay for that option to be on the site.

Thought it might be something you would be interested to help the site, what do you think?

Dave_B

Yea, I was thinking of something like this...
Was it setup without John's approval?

I'm sure John had nothing to do with it. As you can tell, nobody frequents it and, like John said, it's just as easy to come here as it is to go to Facebook.

scott_b

Not to go way off topic but how is book face evil and how has it ruined people's lives? I have heard numerous cases where FB has exposed indiscretions or lapses in judgement that impact a persons life, usually negatively, but that is not the fault of FB.

Cat Woman

Not to go way off topic but how is book face evil and how has it ruined people's lives? I have heard numerous cases where FB has exposed indiscretions or lapses in judgement that impact a persons life, usually negatively, but that is not the fault of FB.

I was thinking the same thing. Facebook is what you make it. Plain and simple don't be friends with people who cause problems or if it drives you nuts to be notified when they have a bowel movement, sneeze, are bored, etc., just unfriend them.

On a side note ever notice people on Facebook whose objective seems to be to have the most "friends". I know a young lady who is going on 3,300 friends and I highly douby she actually knows a third of those people. I hope she isn't one of these girls who are found dead by a stalker someday...

Sorry, I'm getting off topic.

p.s. mvedepo the second half was not directed at you! :)

Last edited:

alwaysright

Anyone that hasn't seen the movie catfish really should, a nice little story about how facebook got the best of someone in the beloved UP of MI. Documtentery, sad but true.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I think the "Company" style profile is a good idea. I actually do not do much with Facebook, even my own personal account, but I know someone that is quite well versed in Facebook. So I have made her (Nora) the new VP in charge of Social Networking Strategy for JohnDee.com! Look for the profile soon!

-John

whitedust

I guess the first thing folks need to realize is that while the site is my passion, it is also a second job. I spend a minimum of 3-4 hours a day working on it and some days as much as 8 hours. So to justify the time I spend on it and take away from my other paying business, I need to have the website generate income. To do that, you have the advertising on the site. The amount of ad revenue is determined largely by the number of visitors to the site. So putting things like the forecasts on Facebook, would draw visitors away from the site and to FB, thus it would be like me giving FB money for free. Last I checked, they seem to have no shortage of money over there.

Plus, I don't really understand what the advantage to having any of the site content on FB would be anyway. It is just as easy to type in johndee.com than it is faceboook.com

All the info is right here, well laid out and easy to view.

So I guess there are no plans to put any of the site content on FB. You will all just have to keep coming here for all the content. Hope everyone understands.

-John

Understand & agree. As I said before I have no problem paying $25 JD membership per year if you need the money to make Snow Central a more profitable endeavor. This is a great site because of the rules & the type of people that post here. Other sites discussions get out of control quickly so I don't post or frequent those sites just no fun with name calling & brand blind posters that don't consider or respect another opinion. There are a few here that are brand blind people but most stay in check & respect the rules a very good thing!:)

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the "Company" style profile is a good idea. I actually do not do much with Facebook, even my own personal account, but I know someone that is quite well versed in Facebook. So I have made her (Nora) the new VP in charge of Social Networking Strategy for JohnDee.com! Look for the profile soon!

-John

How much does new said VP make for this job? Does this job come with stock options? What kind of benefits are offered? :p