July 4th on the North Shore

elf

Spent the week of the 4th at the cabin near Finland. Had a great time, did some hiking, lounged around, cut some fire wood, etc... Best thing I did though was put up the last pc of trim in the cabin. It is now done after 4 yrs!

Here's some pics of what we did.
We went to judge Magney State Park north od Grand Marais and hiked up to the Brule river Falls and Devils Kettle. Just an awesome hike and beautiful area
View of Brule River falls
111496.jpg

Close up of the falls
111497.jpg

This is the Devils Kettle. If you look at the water on left, it drops into that hole and they don't know where it goes or reconects with the rest of the river.
111498.jpg

We hiked up to Caribou Falls one day as my kids love to go swimming there.
111499.jpg

This picture is of Shovel point in Tettagouchee State Park. We took it from Palisade Head
111500.jpg

Kids and I on Palisade Head
111501.jpg

On our last day we went kayaking on Lake Superior. We started in Tofte and paddled down to Temperance River State park.
111502.jpg

We also spent a day down at Gooseberry Falls but forgot to bring the camera that day. Our summer waterfall tour continues. So far we've been to Illgen Falls, High falls, Pattison Falls, Willow River Falls, Copper Falls, Brule River Falls, Caribou Falls, and Gooseberry Falls. Still planning a trip in mid August to Taqheman (sp?) Falls in the UP

yamahachick

I agree with Scott.....Beautiful pics!!

Elf, I'm looking forward to next weekends adventure pics
happy.gif

Tahquamenon Falls are amazing the winter, someday I'll see it in the summer time.

elf

Sorry Yamahachick, got no exciting plans for this weekend, other than maybe catching up on work around the house after being gone for a week. Not sure when we'll get up to the cabin again.

kevisip

I like the kayaking pics...Its something that I would like to do...you could really do some gunkholing and cave adventures with those.

dfrazee

The Caribou Falls and the Devils Kettle look really cool. Any recommendations on lodging close to these areas ? Thanks

elf

Dave,
There are a lot of places to stay in that area. The Tofte area has BlueFin bay (very nice but spendy) and the AmericInn. A little bit further up the shore in the Lutsen area there are a mulititude of places, from the sea villas to the original Lutsen Lodge to places up on the ski hill. Just google Lutsen and you'll find more areas than you care to look for. Grand Marais is a bit further up the shore(but closest to Judge Magney State Park) and it has everything from mom and pop motels to resorts and condos. Also many campgrounds and state parks along the shore from Silver Bay to Grand Marais.

The only spot I've ever actually stayed is Bluefin bay and caribou highlands which is at Lutsen. Both were very nice. And I guess the AmericInn in Silver Bay, it's great for kids as it has a waterslide.

Everyplace we were at in those pictures was within 50 miles of each other.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

samc

Nice Pics Elf. We're still trying to get the trim work done on our place Up North (last thing we have left to do) but something else always come up. FUN!

elf

Samc,
Trim sucks! But when I actually got around to doing it, it only took a couple of days to do the whole place. Guess I should have done it sooner. But I do NO work on the cabin during the winter and we aren't there as much in the summer.

samc

Elf,
Here about the trim. It most likely will not take that long but it still sucks! We usually go about every other weekend all year and during the Summer 3 times a month.