Keweenaw VS. Herman snow totals

reiley99

Who gets more? I've talked to some locals up there before and they "claim" the seen 400+ inches.I was up there in late march last year and the snow was past my waste.Then the next day trailered my sled to calumet and did the circle to copper harbor and back and there wasn't as much snow.I was up in Herman yesterday and took a drive back there and they have alot of snow already halfway up my tires on my truck.12+in on the road.And i seen in the woods some pretty good snowmushrooms already 2 ft thick.If it wasn't deer hunting season i would of went home and got my sled and went for a ride for sure.I'm just wonder the people from herman say they get more or is it a toss up.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
It's hard for me to answer this will full confidence because there is no long term snowfall data for Herman. Reports out of there are spotty at best all season long.

I can say this about the area though. It has one big thing going in it's favor and that is elevation. It is located around 1670 feet above sea level, which puts it around 1070 feet above the lake. Just like in the mountains out west, the higher elevations generally see the heaviest snow.

With that said, when it comes to LES, the elevation advantage is like trying to squeeze blood from a turnip. That being because it is not in a primary LES area. Much like it's neighbors L'Anse and Baraga, the LES hits the highlands of the Keweenaw and gets squeezed out there, leaving not much for areas further downwind.

If I had to speculate, the 400" totals would be a real trick to achieve as they just do not get too much LES on a regular basis. However, that is just speculation.

I also do not have proof of this, but there are spots in the Keweenaw that are only about 100 feet lower than Herman is and I would guess their annual average is around 260-280, with record years over 400.

I can say this, if the Keweenaw were not there, the highlands of eastern Baraga and western Marquette counties could AVERAGE 300" a year (with record years being in the 500" range) and your's truly would be living there instead of the Keweenaw. :)

-John

reiley99

I think just for kicks I'm gonna make a 5 foot stick this week and find a secret spot to put it up there just for fun.And every sunday I'll go check it.And if you want I can even send you a pic of it every week.I know we're not getting a daily total but we can compare snow cover.

ill marty

Herman gets no snow . Stop giving our secret spots away . LOL Like i said many times no snow in Ishpeming and waste deep up there. Did you go up the Peshekee rd. We drive as far as we can unload the beasts . I love the terrain up there been riding in that area for ten years . Met many cool people up there even partied with a few . Many hand made log cabins up their. Can ya tell i love it dont tell to many secrets lets keep it to ourselves.

reiley99

i just softly put a tape measure into the snow i have no reason to lie about the totals up there.Heck if your local i'll meet you up there and we can both measure.

Last edited:

radsrh

i just softly put a tape measure into the snow i have no reason to lie about the totals up there.Heck if your local i'll meet you up there and we can both measure.

My questions where a reply to cuzzinolaf and his 9' probe in Mohawk ;) not the 12"-15" that I am sure you did not lie about. I have a camp in the keweenaw and was there last weekend and if he measured 9' there he either pounded his probe into the ground about 8.5' or he is using "man" inches to get that number.

reiley99

i found out there is a guy taking snow measurement in herman he posts in the l'anse paper every week.snow cover 5in total for the year so far is 37.7 in.So herman is alittle ahead so far but ithink that will all change this week lol

ripcord

Herman gets no snow . Stop giving our secret spots away . LOL Like i said many times no snow in Ishpeming and waste deep up there. Did you go up the Peshekee rd. We drive as far as we can unload the beasts . I love the terrain up there been riding in that area for ten years . Met many cool people up there even partied with a few . Many hand made log cabins up their. Can ya tell i love it dont tell to many secrets lets keep it to ourselves.

Giving away secret spots?..... Peshekee?.... shhhhh!!!

ripcord

So, anyone here been up the Peshekee lately? Just wondering if there's any snow up there yet.... not that it matters ;) ;) ;)