Keweenaws First Meaningful Rain of the season

mezz

As hard is it may be to believe, we actually recieved our first rainfall in excess of 1" in one rainfall event early this morning here in Northern Houghton County. Approx 12:05 a.m. a thunderstorm developed & dropped our first substantial rainfall. Up until this, we have received less than 2" of rain since May! This rain event brought us 1.45" according to my rain guage. Due to the excessive dry period we've been experiencing here, this is the first year in 34 years of living in my home that I have not planted a vegetable garden.
We have also been experiencing another anomaly here which makes me glad I did not plant this year, we have been inundated with a catapillar invasion. These things are destroying all of the leaves on most anything with an actual leaf on it, from rose bushes to most types of trees especially the oaks, maples & birch trees. I find this odd that this in itself has not made the news as our trees are being ravaged, there are areas here that are completely void of leaves. Hopefully the hard rain knocked some of these things off of the trees & drown them. We are still in a significant rain deficit here, hopefully that will turn that around.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dry also here in Wisconsin's Fox Valley. Lawns are brown and I've been watering the garden daily since May. The drought maps disagree, but I was in the Madison/Sun Prairie area this week and it looked a little better in the south.

One thing I've never seen in my lifetime is the smoke/haze from Canada. We've had it from the western states but not from Canada. So what changed? I'm sure wildfires are nothing new to our neighbors to the north.

No bugs here, they've all gone to the Keweenaw for the summer and next week we turn on the heat here, 90's most every day.🥵

mezz

Dry also here in Wisconsin's Fox Valley. Lawns are brown and I've been watering the garden daily since May. The drought maps disagree, but I was in the Madison/Sun Prairie area this week and it looked a little better in the south.

One thing I've never seen in my lifetime is the smoke/haze from Canada. We've had it from the western states but not from Canada. So what changed? I'm sure wildfires are nothing new to our neighbors to the north.

No bugs here, they've all gone to the Keweenaw for the summer and next week we turn on the heat here, 90's most every day.🥵
We have been also experiencing the smoke from the fires in Canada as well, it all depends on which direction the wind & the jetstream is headed. We've had a few days of poor quality air, but, nothing too alarming, just quite noticeable. The rains have been on a path just to the south of us all spring & summer, much like the snows this past winter. Temps are suppose to climb to the nasty zone here next week as well. I will say this, at least we aren't being baked, broiled & washed away, so I consider us lucky so far & grateful for that.

euphoric1

As hard is it may be to believe, we actually recieved our first rainfall in excess of 1" in one rainfall event early this morning here in Northern Houghton County. Approx 12:05 a.m. a thunderstorm developed & dropped our first substantial rainfall. Up until this, we have received less than 2" of rain since May! This rain event brought us 1.45" according to my rain guage. Due to the excessive dry period we've been experiencing here, this is the first year in 34 years of living in my home that I have not planted a vegetable garden.
We have also been experiencing another anomaly here which makes me glad I did not plant this year, we have been inundated with a catapillar invasion. These things are destroying all of the leaves on most anything with an actual leaf on it, from rose bushes to most types of trees especially the oaks, maples & birch trees. I find this odd that this in itself has not made the news as our trees are being ravaged, there are areas here that are completely void of leaves. Hopefully the hard rain knocked some of these things off of the trees & drown them. We are still in a significant rain deficit here, hopefully that will turn that around.
if its like any of the meaningful rains we've been getting here, it will be all for none as the temps will go up, the wind will blow and it wont rain again for another 3 weeks again. Dry but should be good conditions for fixing the lake linden trail LOL

mezz

That was the first decent rain & as you are experiencing, dry for weeks till the next rain which has not amounted to much since May. Yes, good for the trail rebuilding, but, not for anything else except I don't have to mow the lawn as much. We are suppose to get into some more ugly temp, humidity & dewpoint levels by mid-week too. Yeah! Like I said in another post, at least were not being baked, broiled or washed away.

mezz

The pattern stays status quo here in the rain dept. We received a whopping .35" over Wed & Thursday, all it did was add to the humidity level. I really can't remember a drier year. But, that doesn't mean that it hasn't been.