Klim Gear

revthred

I've read some of your posts on Klim gear, and I'm curious what jackets you've tried from their product line? I've been wanting to purchase one of their jackets, but i'm not sure if the Klimate jacket will be sufficient (or should I spend the extra and go with the Valdez)? Thanks

I just bought a pair of the Klim Free Ride pants, and can't wait to use them. I had a pair of Castle pants that suited me well until we got into a lot of poweder (which resulted in a lot of wet butt
happy.gif
).

Anybody else can chime in also.

A

admin

I use the Valdez parka as my main snomobile jacket and wear the Everest Jacket (fleece) underneath it. I use the Togwotee bib. I also have the inversion jacket for ATVing or even spring riding.

I really cannot tell you what to get, but can offer up the advice to get what you think you will really need. It may be a big up front cost, but I have been using my bibs for 5 seasons and the jacket for 4 and they work as good as the day I got them, so they will save you money in the long run.

-John

Falcon20

I also have the Valdez parka and Togwotee bib. For the mid layer Everest jacket and Everest pant. I spoke to the Klim people prior to ordering, very nice people, about where I mostly ride. Being mostly trail and Midwest I went with the prior stated clothing.
I got a large jacket, although it fits nice, if I had to do it again I would get an XL for a bit more waist and chest wiggle room. The Everest pant I hemmed off 8 inches. No fault of Klim it just seems there sizing does not match up with OEM sizing.
Understand that Klims whole system is layering. As such I now only wear polypropolene top and bottom under the two top layers. No jeans or flannel shirt. Jacket and bibs have lots of pockets. I found this setup to be fine riding all day in a -35* wind chill blizzard in the UP this past season.
Klims web site is www.klimusa.com

Falcon20

It seems you're tall and slender, I'm 5-10 with 25 more lbs. Not over weight, but age,54, has given me a slight pooch, much to my dismay. I wear a large jacket of any variety, but the Klim jacket seemed snug in the waist area. Especially during zip up. There is an inner waist cord in the jacket that can be pulled tight but not opened up more than I would like. I gonna guess that you are more lean than I so a large Klim should do you well. You might call Klim and ask about exchanges during the ordering process. I have not done so as I had my gear for two months before I used it for a one week trip in the UP. (Living in Florida does not give me the chance to try stuff on at the dealers.)

Good luck!

A

admin

I can add that the Klim gear does run on the small size. Plus you use the layering system with their gear, so you will want a little extra room underneath the outer layer as well.

So for the outer layer, order at least one size larger than you typically do.

-John

revthred

Thanks a lot. You're information is helpful. Looks like i'll be on the search for a Black Large Valdez!

Brad

mxzxrs

Did you use the klim f4 helmet last season? If so, what are your thoughts about it. Is it colder than a regular mx style helmet? Thanks.

A

admin

mxzxrs-

I did ride with the Klim helmet last year and liked it a lot. The venting does allow air to circulate inside it. So it helps to keep your head cooler in situations where that is desired.

However, when you do not want the air to circulate, you can either use the windstopper liner that comes with it, or Klim's windstopper balaclava (which is what I did). I never experienced any issues with cold when I did not want and quite frankly could have used some more ventillation at times! However, I suppose they had to limit the ventillation in order to keep the helmet strong enough to provide the protection that is needed.

Another side benefit to the helmet is it is lighter than other mx helmets I have used.

-John