Klim Valdez parka for trail rider?

The Apostate

Who has cold weather experience with the Klim Valdez Parka? I trail ride 95% of the time with a fashionable yet less protective windshield and would like to purchase a Klim parka for this winter. I have worn leather for the last 14 years with little to complain about when nights get downright frigid especially in Wisconsin’s north woods and Da’ Yoopee. Often times I find myself overheating when we turn up the wick for nothing more than spirited trail riding. I found the advantages of Klim’s base and mid-layer system a few years ago and I appreciate their ability to keep me warm and dry but the heavy leather and older thinsulate material of my current jacket is not up to the same task. With the advent of the Keweenaw jacket I think I might have found what I’m looking for but I’d like to read any comments Valdez wearers might have when it comes to cold weather trail riding with them. I realize that layering is essential but also that the un-insulated Valdez parka is probably more suited to mountain or off trail riding where you body generates more heat. Many of my trips to the north woods include long pulls on either lakes or railroad grade trails where the leather excels.

Hoosier

I have the same question - which Klim jacket for the 75-90% trail rider? Previously I didn't like the Klimate jacket because of a lack of vents. However, I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on the uninsulated jacket, given the price point.

I currently wear a generic "thick" old-school jacket that I can't wait to retire.

mulchatna

I wear the Klimate in Minnesota and find it very comfortable. I was also considering the Valdez Parka but my contact at the dealer said it's not a good idea for trail riders. The only complaint I have is the side pockets are set back a little too far.

willey

I have a Valdez jacket and love it! It is not the warmest jacket by itself but with the proper layering you would be fine. On really cold days the Inversion windstopper jacket is a must or some other brand windstopper. The Klimate jacket is more suited for the trail rider. I try and stay of the trails myself so the Valdez is awesome for keeping me dry and warm and cool when things heat up!!! Can't wait to ride!

Hoosier

Anybody use one of the noninsulated jackets and is not happy with it? Particularly the trail riders? I guess I'm just a doubter that those will keep you warm, even with proper layering. But If I spring for one this winter, I want to make the right decision. Plus, it seems like the noninsulated jacket would nicer to have for other winter activities besides sledding.

The Apostate

Anybody use one of the noninsulated jackets and is not happy with it? Particularly the trail riders? I guess I'm just a doubter that those will keep you warm, even with proper layering. But If I spring for one this winter, I want to make the right decision. Plus, it seems like the noninsulated jacket would nicer to have for other winter activities besides sledding.

I have to say the Klim base layers do a **** of a job. I have several of the plain black shirts and when just layered with the jersey I get pretty toasty to the point that I have to run outside and when I add the Inferno shirt as a midlayer I just about combust so I maybe the Valdez would be enough. I think I'm leaning towards the Keweenaw jacket now though. I don't really like the styling of the Klimate as much and the Keweenaw seems like it is somehwere in between the Klimate and the Valdez in comfort with the extra features of the Valdez.

I've had the Valdez for many years now. I'm an active and aggressive rider. On or off trail. To me it depends on how much you're moving as to how much insulation you're going to need. If I were you I'd look into dat der Keweenaw jacket, sir!

mikes99ss

well, let me chim in and say that i would NOT recomend a valdez for a trail rider. I have a valdez coat and the thin klim midlayer jacket and the klim long underwear. This combination simply rocks for OFF trail riding whick i do 95% of the time, but once a year an old college buddy of mine comes up here and makes me go trail riding with him and this year (first year with the valdez coat) i simply froze my a** off. Great off trail set up but i would not recomend the valdez for a trail guy. But much like techsledder said it all depends on how active you are. Just my $0.02

Last edited:

The Apostate

well, let me chim in and say that i would NOT recomend a valdez for a trail rider. I have a valdez coat and the thin klim midlayer jacket and the klim long underwear. This combination simply rocks for OFF trail riding whick i do 95% of the time, but once a year an old college buddy of mine comes up here and makes me go trail riding with him and this year (first year with the valdez coat) i simply froze my a** off. Great off trail set up but i would not recomend the valdez for a trail guy. But much like techsledder said it all depends on how active you are. Just my $0.02

Thanks! That seems to be the consensus. I ride too many trails for it to make sense. I don't want to have to wear so many layers that I'm packed into the parka like the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man. Looks like the Keweenaw parka is my best option.

mikes99ss

Klim might still be and option for you. They make lots of jackets ranging from the valdez the parkas and everything inbetween. I love my klim stuff. I just don't think the VALDEZ is a good shouicde for you. Maybe look at some of the other coats klim has to offer. And if your over that way go to haydays to get it. Best prices all year!!

Hoosier

Thanks, mike. That helps. I'm thinking that new one might be good as it has some insulation but is also vented.

I get too hot with my big puffy jacket if I take a step off the trail and it's too constricting anyway.

mikes99ss

I think the best compliment i could pay my klim gear is after finally getting all klim stuff my buddy asked me at the end of a hard days ride how i liked it. My response "I really don't know, I forgot i even had it on"

nitroman

Klim 100% here and love it. I wear the Tomohawk jacket which is similar to the Valdez and I also wear a Powerxcross at times both non-insulated Unless you are an very active rider or layer alot they would not be the best choice for trails. The Keweenaw seems to make more sense. I have rode trails a couple times here and wore my tek-vest under and stayed quite warm but who doesn't with a tek-vest on. As said before go to Hayday's if you can check them out first hand and make your choice.

09summitetec

If you wear a tech vest or similar core protection, the Valdez is fine in any temp. Great coats but imo, they run a little small. Try one on before you buy.

polarisrider1

I have been called a poster child for Klim and amsoil. Both are top notch. You can't go wrong with Klim wear. Quality throught. I figure I am not growing anymore and have not for years, thus making Klim a very good investment kinda like Carharts and Harley Davidson products. (it may outlast me). Oh! and definately invest in a Tec Vest. It is an investment in your life just like a good helmet is.

well dont wanna step on keeweenaw or klim lovers but DOOM and HOOSIER i know exactly what yer talking about....what works in the mountains does not work so good off trail in the woods.....very different....and what works good on the trails does not work good in the mountains.....layering....forgetaboutit unless you like riding with a backpack or mapbag.....so since i guide in all those conditions i too needed a universal jacket with plenty of vents and can handle a 3 hour ride home on smooth trails at night at 100 MPH after off trail sweating all day and be comforatble and warm and dry in all conditions....i found it after many many years of jackets....its an ARCTIC CAT...its a rare jacket and even the dealers had a super hard time even knowing it existed....i looked online and cannot find it easily either to link here....so i gotta go home and look at the part number on the jacket....have even rode in a POURING DOWNFALL for hours and not one drip got in...i was amazed to say the least...i will never buy a different jacket now...hopefully they keep making them....its made out of some very different material....i'll take pics too....it has retro embrodiery on it from like the 70's...many many vents....and is warm as leather....digging stuck sleds out you dont sweat much and get wet....i deffinitely know what yer goin through

edmarino

Nothing aganist Klim wear. But layering after I purchased my Gerbing Heated liners became a thing of the past. Now I can just turn a nob a have any degree of warmth I need. Not bulky and quick to set to any conditions you encounter. In my opinion it is the only way to travel, no duffle bag of clothing to drag along depending on weather conditions