La Nina is here, anything that explains the warmer weather we have had this winter?

Vikingfan44

Just wondering if know what other items are impacting us that has caused a warmer than normal winter (at least in Iowa). Thanks!

euphoric1

I know we aren't supposed to ask or mention other forecasts but at the start of the season every outlet including the almanac was predicting a stellar winter for the most of us, and I too am curious and was hoping John would chime in on what if anything changed to end up giving us literally completely opposite of what most were predicting for the 2023 season. I'm not in any way questioning forecasting abilities or sciences but was wondering if there was any explanation as to why the winter turned out like it did, besides the lefty bs of "climate change"

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, Climate Change is real but it's nothing new like some would have us believe. 4.5 billion years ago the earth was one giant blob of Molten Rock. How's that for Climate Change!!

We had some darn cold weather around Christmas and most of us had snow but yeah, it's disappointing. From where I sit, If we can ride locally, great! But I'm not going to count on it and I expect to chase the snow whenever my schedule permits.

snoden

La Nina winters were supposed to be good winters. Third year in a row with La Nina in place and two of the three have been terrible for snow fall.

wisco-mb

La Nina winters were supposed to be good winters. Third year in a row with La Nina in place and two of the three have been terrible for snow fall.
Here in central WI we've had good moisture this winter. Just more rain then snow this year due to the warmth. Or like last week S. WI had 8". Couple days later it was all melted. Last year was cold and no moisture. Can't win... That's why last year was very frustrating for central WI. If we had December snow like this year, it would have lasted till March since no major warm ups.

whitedust

Last I heard this winter season was up there among warmest winters ever. Sure would be nice for John to chime in with his professional view.