La Nina

J

jr

Good Morning John,

What is the status of the La Nina? Is it going to be strong or weaker than originally projected? Thank you.

jim

"Please do not ask specific forecast questions..."

Weather questions, yes. Forecast no.

john

JR-

I suppose this one is not a true specific weather forecast inquiry, so will answer.

The La Nina is currently in a moderate phase. This is a bit stronger than was forecasted when it first started. It is also indicated to persist through the upcoming northern hemisphere winter, which is longer than initially thought.

-John

J

jr

John -

You gave me the exact answer I was looking for. (Yes, it was not a forecast.) Thank you.

JR

john

John

Is a stronger La Nina better for a good snowy winter or is a weaker La Nina better.

Thanks JML

J

jr

Why is that? I mean, if you think of Yin Yan (or another correlation of opposites) then if a strong El Nino causes less snow, then a strong La Nina should cause more snow. Is it because colder air is pulled down from the arctic and therefore drier?

It looks like we lose no matter what happens.

john

JR-

The atmosphere is a very mysterious thing. Probably about as unpredictable as anything out there, with the exceptions of human behavior.

The truth is we do not know why many of the anomalies with El Nino and La Nina happen. In many cases they are just something that is observed statistically.

The best bet for the Midwest is to just not have an El Nino or La Nina going on.

-John

jim

I thought that we were either in a La Nino or La Nina pattern so you say that there can can be a period were neither exist.

john

sledder4lif-

That would be one of those "specific forecast" questions that I ask not to be asked!
happy.gif

Jim-

Yes, it is possible for the conditions to be ENSO Neutral, or meaning no El Nino or La Nina going on.

yooper

Stupid La Nina, either way I see 4 new inches of snow on the ground woo hooo. Here's to a No Nina season next year!<font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font>

J

jr

John -

Does the La Nina change as fast as the El Nino did last year?

We are starting out with a good year, are there signs of the La Nina weakening?

JR

john

JR-

Each El Nino and La Nina are different. They do not follow a set script for how fast they grow and disappear.

-John

oldguy

With the winter snowmobile season 2/3 completed, do you feel that the snowmobilers in general, benefited from this years La Nina?

A

admin

oldguy-

While I think it would be premature to place the cause of this winters cold temps and fairly abundant snow in much of the Midwest on one factor. At the onset of this winter, I did believe that the current La Nina would give us a better chance for cold and snow in much of the region and so I do believe that it has been at least partially responsible.

-John