Lake effect snow...

subaru2006

After reading your forecast it got me wondering. I was also looking at forecasted jet streams and noticed you say moderate to heavy les during that time frame and it appears before an actual winds/cold air from the north come in. I guess my question is why would les not really kick in with the cold blast, either during or after? But you have it right before? I know there's a lot more then just winds so a simple explanation will go a long way. Lol

Edit: also maybe I don't actually understand cold front and daily temps. By looking at the daily highs following your time frame shows them low. For some reason I associate those with the cold front. Or is that the result of the cold front which happens in the time frame before, which you say will be les.

Hopefully this makes sense and not too crazy.

Thanks

Subaru2006

Last edited:

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not really sure I follow your question, but will try and explain the maps. In the 1-4 maps, the red line is the freeze line (high temps to stay below zero to the north of the line) and is not representative of a front.

In the 5-10 day maps, the snow projected is for the ENTIRE time frame. So today's map is from 7am on Sunday the 17th through 7 am Thursday the 21st. The coldest air looks to arrive behind an arctic front Saturday in the NW Great Lakes and early Sunday in the SE. So the period with the heaviest LES would be in that Sunday-Thur time frame.

The heaviest LES does not always correspond to the coldest temps, there are other factors that will determine how hard it snows, like the stability of the atmosphere, the moisture in the air upwind of the Great Lakes and wind direction.

-John

Clearing things up

I appreciate you stating what the red lines were, I always have thought those correlate to fronts.

Not sure if this is too specific to ask if so no problem, no need to reply. I see the freeze line hanging pretty high especially this coming weekend but I do not see any signs of rain from you but do from others. Do you expect any rain and if so affect snow play for the "trolls" like me this coming weekend?

Always look forward to seeing the maps, Thanks!

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I appreciate you stating what the red lines were, I always have thought those correlate to fronts.

Not sure if this is too specific to ask if so no problem, no need to reply. I see the freeze line hanging pretty high especially this coming weekend but I do not see any signs of rain from you but do from others. Do you expect any rain and if so affect snow play for the "trolls" like me this coming weekend?

Always look forward to seeing the maps, Thanks!

Yep, unfortunately there will be rain in areas that stay above freezing.

-John